New Project

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
Looks like I'm gonna be building my own wheels after all. I got some heavy duty worksman rims and I'm gonna be ordering some 11 gauge spokes as soon as I figure out what size I need. Just rebuilt the brakes this morning with new pads and put on some new cables. I also got a second motor with the crank I needed and swapped that over (still haven't tested with the new crank), and stripped off all the pieces I don't need off the motor. I'll post some pictures once I make any noticeable progress with it. I'm thinking as a temporary motor mount, I'm gonna use some angle iron clamped to the frame till I get around to cutting some custom mounts and getting those welded on. I might also have to file down the torque converter sprocket so it fits a 415 chain as opposed to the 420 since the rear sprocket takes 415

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
Ok, so I'm finally starting to get back into this project, but I don't think I'm going to build it as I originally intended, at least for now. I just want to get it going and get out on the road now. So I'm going with some pre built heavy duty wheels, since I'm sick of waiting for the parts for custom ones. I'm also going to get a pre built motor mount that bolts onto the frame, and I'm going to throw on a Predator 79cc engine for now. I measured it up and I know I can pretty much do a straight swap to the Briggs 5 horse once I frankenstein that thing together. Just wondering what I should order for sprockets now. The torque converter I got has a 10 tooth sprocket, and I have 26" wheels, plus the torque converter, so what size should I use for the rear sprocket? I'd like to have good torque and a reasonable top speed, maybe 30-35.

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
I too am having thoughts about wheel building. Local bike shop was no help at all! My bike was a donor Mongoose Dolomite fat tire bike with dual disc brakes and steel deep-dish rims. The thoughts I am having are because I am running a GY6 150cc engine and if the the stock hubs, spokes, and rims can handle that kind of power. I have all the details of the build on an album in my profile. For some reason I can't get any pics to load on the thread. I have been thinking about maybe upgrading the spokes to 11 gauge before I try to ride it. Does anyone have experience with this kind of build? Are there any pre-built fat bike wheels sets that would be strong enough? Keep in mind that I will be mounting the rear drive sprocket where the rear disc brake rotor should go, utilizing the existing mount plate and bolt pattern on the hub. This bike will not be ridden hard. I will be cruising at speeds of 35-40mph and have some left over power to get out of the way of trouble. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I too am having thoughts about wheel building. Local bike shop was no help at all! My bike was a donor Mongoose Dolomite fat tire bike with dual disc brakes and steel deep-dish rims. The thoughts I am having are because I am running a GY6 150cc engine and if the the stock hubs, spokes, and rims can handle that kind of power. I have all the details of the build on an album in my profile. For some reason I can't get any pics to load on the thread. I have been thinking about maybe upgrading the spokes to 11 gauge before I try to ride it. Does anyone have experience with this kind of build? Are there any pre-built fat bike wheels sets that would be strong enough? Keep in mind that I will be mounting the rear drive sprocket where the rear disc brake rotor should go, utilizing the existing mount plate and bolt pattern on the hub. This bike will not be ridden hard. I will be cruising at speeds of 35-40mph and have some left over power to get out of the way of trouble. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
If the rims are steel they should hold up fine, i think i would use them as is as not using a rag sprocket mount. Then if you see any signs of fatigue, you could lace in the 11 gage spokes............Just my thought............Curt

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
Thanks Curt! As a follow up question: Are you suggesting that i mount the sprocket to the 14 gauge spokes? Or continue to utilize where the 6 bolt rear disc brake rotor should go?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ya give it a try and see, you can always redo the spokes later if it starts to fatigue. In the mean time practise on some old rims you might want to use later down the road.......Curt