Four stroke kit

GoldenMotor.com

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I just received my new four stroke kit from gasbike.net. This is the one on sale for $199. The engine appears to be a Honda clone. The chain reduction unit has a free wheel on the output sprocket so even if the chain broke and jammed it wouldn't lock the rear wheel. The reduction chain is a duplex chain which looks plenty strong for the engine's output. The only problem I see is the width of the engine and gear box is 10 1/2". I've ordered a wide one piece crank set for my Schwinn Point Beach cruiser and hope it's wide enough. If it isn't I can cut the crank and weld an extension on it to make it wide enough. I'm eager to get this four stroke rig going to compare it with the two stroke conversion I made on my old Schwinn mountain bike last month. So far I've only put 100 miles on the converted bike but it's been running great with no problems at all. Not even a loose screw or bolt so far.pino.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i bought a few of those kits too. over all they look prety good, packing is total crap though. 1 had the plastic choke lever broke off and all of them had scracthed and dented tanks. didn't even bother contacting them because i know how it is. i was able to fix the choke lever by making a new one but your average joe wouldn't be able to do that himself.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
That's what I probably will end up doing, if the one I ordered isn't wide enough. I thought about it but didn't want to burn the chrome on the crank I have. I did get a wide three piece crank set with the kit. I can vouch for what camlifter said about the packing which is pretty poor. I was lucky there was no damage to the stuff in my kit. The two stroke Grubee kit I put on my other bike was packed very well in comparison.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Hi camlifter,

Do you make the choke levers? If so, how much?

Have fun,
no, i just made the one because it was easier to make one than trying to deal with them, shiping it back and making a claim is pointless with gasbike or kings. if just the top is broke off you can drill a small hole down into the small pieces and use a piece of tig rod put into the hole you drilled and super glue it back together. if the whole shaft shatered you'll have to use a piece of rod, mill a flat spot for the choke blade and drill and tap the rod for screws to hold the blade. probably be cheaper just to buy a new carb if your not able to make one.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I got my first test ride on the four stroke Schwinn. The engine runs great right out of the box, started easily and idles down nicely and pulls strongly. My only complaint is that it has quite a bit more vibration than my two stroke bike. I'll have to work on that and see what I can do about that. The four stroker does pull well from a full stop. Right now I can't pedal the bike because I haven't gotten the wide crank set yet. My two stroke won't pull the bike from a stop so that's nice. It's handier not to have to use the clutch and pedal from a stop. I still have to bend, cut and weld the exhaust header pipe because it interfers with the front fender though it will clear the tire with the fender off. I wish my two stroke bike didn't have side pull brakes, this bike has V brakes and they sure work with less pressure on the grip, I think they'd work well with the dual brake lever which I'm going to have to take off my two stroker because it's too hard to apply both brakes with one lever.usflg.bld.

Hi exavid,

It is usually the opposite, 2 strokes vibrate & shake and the 4 strokes are very smooth.

I wonder if the exessive vibration is from the chain primary drive. I know the earlier version had serious chain stretch and the chain started hitting the primary case.

Have fun,

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I think it could be the difference in engine mounting and possibly due to differences in the bikes frames. My 2 cycle is on a steel framed mountain bike and the 4 stroke is on an aluminum cruiser. Part of it is probably due to an oversized sprocket. I haven't counted the teeth on it but it's probably 50 tooth or so. The engine really revs up around 20mph a lot faster turning than my 2 stroke. The bike has a lot of pull starting out, no need to pedal at all. I think a smaller rear sprocket might smooth things out a bit.