hard starting huasheng 49cc

GoldenMotor.com

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
bout 500 miles on the motor, started to start sluggish (wont start with choke). like symptoms of a dirty carb, so cleaned the carb real good, did find some debree in carb, blew out orifices. put back together, same issue. i have to pull with choke on ( wont fire), flip choke off & pull start giving gas and it stumbles to a start, after it warms up, it runs/ idles great....SO... i put in a new plug, a new magneto, fresh gas, and even changed out the old carb with a brand new one, still wont start in choke. i have even tuned the old & new carb starting at 2 turns out on the air screw(brass) and gone up to 3 turns. normally between 2 and 3 turns out works great for me. i can start it through the method i told above. and can ride it all day once i get it going, it runs well.lots of power! could the valves be causing this? pretty much the only thing i havent done.
your input is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Does it try to start on full choke on the first pull or two? I know my 49er doesn't like full choke in warm weather. It'll start but dies immediately before I can get the choke lever back off.

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
well the new carb came with new gaskets and its sealed tight so i think im gonna start lookin at the valves...to adjust valves, does the piston have to be in certain position?

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
Does it try to start on full choke on the first pull or two? I know my 49er doesn't like full choke in warm weather. It'll start but dies immediately before I can get the choke lever back off.
no it doesnt even try to start, i could yank it 10 times and nothing, so i flip the choke back off, and it will try to start but will need throttle to resess-i-tate.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Definitely do a valve adjustment. It'll help overall - starting, idling, cruising.
Before you adjust it properly, try to find out how far off they are already!

Oh, and don't worry about air leaks. They are extremely unlikely, considering the intake is a ~3/8" piece of plastic with a gasket on both sides.