Used bikes, crazy $$$$

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I,m about finished with my first build.Just been to cold to ride.Well
I,m going to make a stretch cruiser over the winter in my shop.

So I been looking at listings for a used bike on the cheap.My lord
I can buy a bike a wally world new for what many people want
now days.

Have you guy noted the same???
Fly

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Same here... checked the pawn shops and their bikes were more than retail... same with craigslist ads and some flea market bikes make it much more appealing just to buy new.... every once in a while I see a good deal but not too often. Yard sales seem to have the best deals around here.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yer right, Dave. Forgot yard sales. I've had some awesome luck with them.

Pawn shops have gotten even worse since the show "pawn stars"
90% of CL bikes here are a hundred bucks. The pawn shops want at least 25% more for trash. Forget a vintage bike or even good, modern one.

Same thing with tools. Annoys me to no end

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I tell you something I,m going to look into.My son inlaw is a policeman in
Okla city.He said wait till we have a police sale for stolen goods.Bikes sell
cheap.
But yea I will check the yard sales & thrift stores.
Heck I,m going to cut it up anyway, right.

Fly

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Those are awesome, Fly! Can get some really high end bikes for cheap! A flat tire or any minor thing can drop the price significantly. But even in perfect condition, some great deals and even resellers.

I haven't been to one in yrs but gonna look now. Used to be they just wanted the bikes out of the cop shop cellar and didn't care about price.

Gonna look now. Dang, great thread.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I tell you something I,m going to look into.My son inlaw is a policeman in
Okla city.He said wait till we have a police sale for stolen goods.Bikes sell
cheap.
But yea I will check the yard sales & thrift stores.
Heck I,m going to cut it up anyway, right.

Fly
This is true they have sale every year. I went to the recycle center one day with a load of scrap,and they were scraping out bikes that no one bought. I talked to the officer and it was his third trip there for the day,(ranger pickup ) There was a older Schwinn cantalever ,tried to take it and they wouldn't let me. I see bikes there all the time i go but no scrounging. So check with the city and find out when they have the police auction..................Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I see the same two or three old Toyota pickups with huge sides full of scrap. They canvas our neighborhoods several times a day and offer to haul away unwanted metal. Always see bikes on the pile. I haven't stopped them to ask about the bikes because I had 8 steel wheels stolen from the side of my house. For all I know they have regular buyers for the bikes. Maybe I could be one of those buyers.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
msr:

Get to know the scrappers,and shop their loads. If they find out you will pay cash for a certain item, they will bring you more...

You need to know what they get for an average truckload. Once you see how hard they work for what they make, you can make them a fair offer on what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEVsrwmPTY

A bike weighs very little. To get the most for it, they must strip the aluminum parts off. They would rather have an old BBQ.

They will also trade. I swapped a dead motorcycle battery for a bike once.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes I have seen them out there when i go visit my brother,don't have them here we hall our own. They used to let us pick and by but then got to big of operation,now can't take anything. $3 would by a bike................Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So many great ideas for places to save on bikes. ("donor bike"s always sounds wrong to me, some how)

If you folks want to make a succinct list, I can make it a sticky. Be a good point of reference for new folks in the future.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Places to find deals on bikes;

Yard/garage sales

dumps/collection sites

Police auctions

Craigslist.org (preface with city or local)

Pawn shops tend to be expensive

Thrift stores

Scrappers/recycling business

Other collectors here on the forum

What'd I miss?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
We have a volunteer bike CoOp here in Tucson called Bicas where people work for trade. Any given time I have gone there I have seen a few hundred bikes in stock already stripped to the frames and piles and rows of all the sorted parts. Proceeds from sales go into keeping the place open. Great deals If you're in Tucson. I wonder how many other cities have similar places?

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Craigs list can be good , if you are a good shopper.

$40

$25

My favorite though is the scrap yard:

$12

$5

$2.50

And don't forget the Good Will..........
A gold mine at times....

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
On my local craigslist right now, 150.00 What a deal, wish I saw this before...perfect to motorized.

May get it anyways for a later project.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Craigs list can be good , if you are a good shopper.

$40

$25

My favorite though is the scrap yard:

$12

$5

$2.50

And don't forget the Good Will..........
A gold mine at times....
wow that stingray only 12 bucks? jeeze. I also like the one for 2.50, would make a nice motorbike

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Kind of a reminder of a few years ago,used to go to recycling center and you could by all kinds of bikes for a couple buck. Just never gave it much thought then they stoped letting people snoop there operation got to big. They now have a big grinder that will take a hole car and grind it up,so now all you can do is bring a load out and can't even pick up anything. The only thing is good will and police auction ...........Curt