Switching Gears

GoldenMotor.com

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Not really a help thread, but just something I've thought of. Even after riding my bike pretty well daily for over a year, when I rev up to full throttle, I always pull the clutch in and go to switch gears (Which of course, its only 1 speed) Does anyone else do this? Now, I did notice, though it might just be me that when you let off the throttle after starting out, pull the clutch and release as if you switched gears, the bike accelerates quicker. Is that just in my head or is it something with coasting allowing it?

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
engine picking up revs when you disengage then putting that force back through the clutch when you re-engage maybe?

if doing this helps your bike puck up speed in that range chances are it's just not got quite enough power normally.
that or the sudden pull forward feels like it's accelerating faster when in reality it is not?

I just keep pedaling if I'm not getting the acceleration I need from stopped.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not really a help thread, but just something I've thought of. Even after riding my bike pretty well daily for over a year, when I rev up to full throttle, I always pull the clutch in and go to switch gears (Which of course, its only 1 speed) Does anyone else do this? Now, I did notice, though it might just be me that when you let off the throttle after starting out, pull the clutch and release as if you switched gears, the bike accelerates quicker. Is that just in my head or is it something with coasting allowing it?
Its all in your head...lol

kinda like someone putting on a cape and pretending to fly like Superman...

You're having some type of plocebo effect and nothing else unless your engine is running rich to begin with all you revving the poop out of it is just clearing out some extra fuel for a moment and allowing you to feel a bit more gitty-up.