motor choice for passenger trike. please help. ..

GoldenMotor.com

vroomvroombikes

Mar 30, 2013
california
hey everyone. I am considering a new build and wanted some advice on engine choice. I am planning on building A passenger trike which will seat two passengers over the drive wheels of the bike. The problem that I am facing is finding a suitable engine 2 carry this kind of weight reliably. The bike will likely have to carry about 500 pounds including the weight of the person operating the trike. My other issue is that the bike will most likely be used for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. The plan is to use the bike to give tours. after lots of searching on my own I still I am undecided on my best option. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this endeavor in testing alternate uses of motorized bikes. Thanks ahead of time.

Ed.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
hey everyone. I am considering a new build and wanted some advice on engine choice. I am planning on building A passenger trike which will seat two passengers over the drive wheels of the bike. The problem that I am facing is finding a suitable engine 2 carry this kind of weight reliably. The bike will likely have to carry about 500 pounds including the weight of the person operating the trike. My other issue is that the bike will most likely be used for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. The plan is to use the bike to give tours. after lots of searching on my own I still I am undecided on my best option. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this endeavor in testing alternate uses of motorized bikes. Thanks ahead of time.

Ed.
Commercial grade four stroke, like a briggs & stratton or a honda. You should probably avoid the cheaper china copies if you plan to run a business, they will not hold up as well long term under heavy use. Personally, I like the older briggs flatheads as they are reliable and easy to maintain while giving decent power. They also have a huge aftermarket thanks to kart and junior dragster racing. You can get any part imaginable for the briggs flathead.

vroomvroombikes

Mar 30, 2013
california
Maniac57.....
I was learning towards a briggs due to reputation and good experience with them personally but i was looking to find cheaper alternatives if possible. I plan on building 3 trikes and would like to have the same engine on them all(looks more professional and it's easier to maintain). Which rules out trying to find used briggs ones. My other question is how small of an engine could I get away with while still being able to move that amount of weight? I plan on gearing for speed around 20mph.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
keep in mind that most 50cc struggle with one person even when geared decent. So at 500lbs do the math and you'll see you need some serious grunt,then add in your driver.
at that weight you need cubes

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah, I hear ya on prices.
Here in tn I can find them at lawnmower repair shops easily. Your results may vary.
I still think they would be the way to go considering your intended useage. The only motor I know of tougher than a flathead briggs is a flathead Kohler. Good luck finding those at a decent price...
You might try your local jr. drag racing scene as racers usualyy have decent used motors available as they move up in class and speed. You can get some good deals if you search hard enough.
I would also consider buying new since you plan to use them commercially. That way your costs could be deducted on your business taxes.
The idea of adapting the chinese honda pitbike clone motors also has merit, but it will be harder to install them correctly as well as requiring much more maintainence if used daily. You need to plan carefully considering the loads you plan to carry and remember, bigger is better when it comes to power vs. lifespan in motors. A big engine loafing along will last much longer than a small one tuned for big output.