hf 2.5 carb leak

GoldenMotor.com

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I've tried searching and can't find anything so I'm going to ask and hopefully someone on here that knows about carbs can answer me.

I just got done installing a hf 2.5 engine on my trike. The engine ran fine before I installed it but now as soon as I turn on the gas, it starts leaking out of the little port on the top of the carb as shown in the picture. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem here?

Thanks
Lee B

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Mine did that one time, then stopped I think I had the tank full and when the gas heated it blew through the carb. i never filled completely again and it never did it again. Also my engine was never level that could have done something as well. I never knew.

Ps That is one ragged looking opening there..

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Thanks but I don't think that's the problem. It only has about 1/2 a tank of gas. Mine is level too so I'm still lost. I'm going to take it apart and see if there is trash or something in there. I wouldn't be surprised at all as I just had to clean a 6.5 carb that was full of rust on one of my assist trailers.

I agree with the ragged looking pic but mine isn't quite that bad. I used part of a pic I found on the web to show the port I was talking about.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was wondering why there was an opening in the carb there myself. Mine leaked out through the air filter. It also had a screw at the bottom to drain the carb bowl. I guess that's what it's for since every time I opened it gas ran out.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
The only thing I can think of is an overflow port and if that's what it is there is something wrong and some trash or something I guess in there. I'm going to take it apart today and see if I can find out what the problem is.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
overflow port could explain why mine leaked when the tank was filled to the top then got hot and expanded some.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Well, I got the overflow problem solved. What was happening was part of the float hinge was bumping up against the wall of the bottom cup. I bent it back a little bit at a time until it no longer could bump.

It's still not working right though. I can only get the engine up to about 1/2 throttle with the choke about 2/3 shut. Opening the choke or throttle any more than that just kills the engine. I've cleaned the carb well and all the jets etc... are clean. I have no idea what's wrong with it now.
I think I'm going to get one of the aftermarket carbs for this thing as a replacement from HF would just take too long to get here.

-edited-
It isn't working right when jacked up on stands. At the moment it doesn't stand a chance running down the road as it's geared too high. That will be fixed in a few days.

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Just return the engine for a new one. They are very good about replacing engines. I have one carb that leaks but I never tore it down just swapped it out for one off one of my spare engines.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I can't. I've had this one for a couple of years. I had it mounted on an assist trailer originally running a 24v alternator I used with an electric assist delta trike I built a couple of years ago. It was my long range option. That trailer now has a 6.5 hp running the same alternator.
Lee

-edit-
The local store now has one of the 2.5hp engine on sale for $65 that was the display. If it's still there next week when I get my check I'm grabbing it.

Last edited:

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
The HF 2.5hp engine, jack shaft and gas tank has been installed and I finally got to take it for a spin. I used what sprockets I had in my box when I built the jack shaft and it's a geared a bit too high. At the moment it's geared for a 38 mph top speed (rather unrealistic there) but I will be changing that for a 25 mph top speed. Even as it is currently setup it will still do over 20 mph with about 1/2 throttle. Any more gas than that and it chokes off at the moment. Once I get it geared down where it belongs it should have plenty of 'get up and go' and trailer pulling capability.

I need to change the smaller gear on the jack shaft as it currently has a 20t and it needs about a 12-13t gear. I finally found one I can get at www.Stanton-Inc.com They are the only place I can find a 12 tooth gear for #41 chain that fits on a 5/8" shaft and I looked on the net for a couple of hours. That place carries a lot of useful stuff for adapting engines to bikes and trikes and they have fast shipping too. I like dealing with them.

I finally got some batteries for the camera and took a couple of pictures of the new 2.5 hp install on the trike. I know the exhaust pipe looks a little weird at the moment with that sharp angle but I will be fixing that when I can get the right tubing. I just wanted to get it all together and be able to ride it! After 2 months of hassling with the regular bike engine I was trying out this thing is going to be a nice change. It pull starts very easily and is much quieter than either the regular bike type engine or the pocket bike engine. It does NOT sound like a chainsaw!

http://www.packratworkshop.com/pics/2-5-left.jpg
(link for larger pic)

http://www.packratworkshop.com/pics/2-5-right.jpg
(link for larger pic)

Lee B

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
The little metal flap on the hinge that points upward was bumping against the edge of the bowl just where it was supposed to cut off the fuel. It wouldn't let the float up quite high enough to completely shut off the valve. I just bent the flap inward a little and that solved it. No more leak.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
Works for me.

I made up a 12t gear for the jack shaft today but didn't get a chance to install it yet as I still need to finish cutting the key slot in it. (I stop making noise after 5 pm - I like to eat in piece and I'm sure the neighbors do too!)

I hope to get that gear installed tomorrow and then I plan to waste a tank of gas just riding it around. I've been waiting to get a decent ride for some months now and it's HERE!

Lee