Noob from Flagstaff, AZ

GoldenMotor.com

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
To begin, I am soooo glad there is a forum like this. I already stayed up late last night reading numerous posts.

My brother put together an old schwinn and cheap 66cc craigslist motor together over winter break. He can't stop talking about how much fun it is cruising around Corpus Christi, where he goes to school.

Of course I want to build one now. I found this cruiser on craigslist here in town and I plan an picking up a cheap motor off CL down in phoenix next weekend.

My first question is: what is the best way to get my cheapy motor to run well at 7000 ft of elevation.

This is my bike and my brittany puppy in my messy kitchen. The bike is a Western Flyer.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum! Great picture of the pup I like the way it stood up when ya musta said it name:)

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
Threw a little paint on last night. In keeping with the minimal amount of time and money invested theme, I used a brush. ha.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Hey I lived in Flag for 18 years. You may have to dink with the carb jets or get bigger ones but I think if you have the old NT carb you can probably just move the C clip up or down to start with. Also if you really need help find Mr. Garrett Van Hylkama he lives on Apsen street (i think 712) and is at Macy's coffee house most mornings on one of his beautiful bikes. He has about 40 bikes and even some 2 stroke cars (old SAABs) if anyone can help you get it running good at that altitude it would be him. He's one of the best bicycle resouces in the whole town and state. He is also a master mechanic who knows tons about 2 strokes and anything mechanical. Also Tim Vecoe from Tim's auto electric if these guys can't fix it they will fix it where no one can fix it LOL. Really they are great resources and would probably be happy to help or at least give you some pointers or ideas. Tell them "Hippy Kenny" says hello. I llive in Oregon now and have not been able to go back to see them for years but I know they both would never move or leave Flagstaff. Good luck, Ken Hill AKA sideshowbob.brnot

Last edited:

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
Thanks for all the info. Ken! I love Flagstaff, but I know one day in the next year or so I will be moving away. I love it, but can't afford it :(

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
We used to always joke flag was poverty with a view. I never could make a decent living there, always just scraped by. I found much more opportunity in Oregon, I could never get anyone to pay me more than about 10 bucks an hour there. Here I make 45k a year doing the same type work. I love the climate, town, and people there but it was just to hard to get by and I never could get ahead or own a home. Things are much better here even though unemployment here is some of the highest in the nation. At least if you do have a job here they pay better and rent and food are much cheaper. Good luck with your build and I'm sure Garrett can help with running issues.

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
That joke is still on going. I am afraid that even with an accounting degree I will be scraping by if I were to buy a house up here. Not gonna lie 6 years up here and I feel like I know too many people. HA. I have my eyes set on boise for my next stop.