CNS carb angle & float level

GoldenMotor.com

sn0wy

Jul 16, 2010
san jose
My cns carb sits at an angle like you can see in the picture below. It pours tons of fuel out of the vent tube and refuses to idle, so it tends to just run at a very high rpm. The linkage everything is seated properly, but I'm having a hard time getting the fuel/air and idle jets tuned in, could have something to do with the float/angle. The carb is mounted on one of those piratecycles manifolds. The noise and power is extreme, making my bike a little tricky to ride, any help toning it down would be greatly appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Carburetors like to sit as flat and level as possible. That is how the jets and float were designed to work in relationship to the fuel level inside the float bowl.

To help tone down the noise, run a good muffler.
Wedge some rubber in between the top 4 cylinder fins to stop the resonant ringing they will do. Do not worry about placing a rubber wedge between the cylinder head and first cooling fin, just on the cylinder only.
Using black silicone, glue a thin sheet of cardboard to the inside of the gear case cover to deaden it as it too as it acts like a drum head, amplifying the gear case noise.
Some folks experiment with different home made air boxes to muffle the intake noise too. Just be sure that no intake air can bypass the air cleaner element, whatever element you choose to use. Unfiltered air can wear out an engine quickly.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
On my bike , I have to put my carb at a slight angle , so what i did , was install the carb with the hinge side up, and slightly bent the 2 forks that touch the float, and it seems to work great .