"Monroe" Home Build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Smokey, let me look around, I might have something that will work. I can't remember if I cut mine in half or used more than half to build mine. I'll dig out the remains and have a look at it.
Hi Louie, If you do find the other half of that donor, measure it please. And the truss rod deal. Is that just steel rod which is threaded at the upper and lower ends? A how to for know nothings like me would be deeply appreciated. If I can pass along to a local welder what I want for him to do, then I can have a couple made up for my use. Curtis and I are on the lookout for a donor snowmobile to see if the springs from one would work. So, how wide the spring is, how thick, etc. As if you were explaining it to a twelve year old. It would be more than just Curtis and me who would benefit from your kindness in sharing what seems easy to you but is an intriguing mystery to me.
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Silverbear, sorry for the long delay, I've been riding my motorcickle around a bit (couple weeks). I found the other end of the spring and it is 12" long just like to piece I used. I will have to measure the width and thickness tonight. The truss front end is factory made by one of the bicycle companies as is the rockers on the bottom (see pictures earlier in this thread). I can't remember what bicycle company that made them because I'm just too old to remember....if it comes to me I'll let you know. If you want the the spring I can mail it to you for what it cost to ship it. Send me a private message with your mailing info. Check out the pictures and let me know if you have any other questions. By the way I love that sidecar you made from the canoe.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have sent a P.M. Thank you for the offer. I've been trying to get all the riding in I can as it is Indian summer right now and is supposed to last for a week. After that, snow can come at any time. I'm glad you like the canoe sidecar. I still smile when I look at it.
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Below is the cost sheet and specs for the finished "Monroe" bike.

Monroe Cost Sheet

Motor $25.00
Chain /Gears $60.00
Sheet metal $65.00
Misc Hardware $20.00
Grips $25.00
Carb $20.00
Rear Stand/Clip $25.00
Decals $40.00

Total $255.00

Specs

Leaf Spring front end
Twist Throttle inside wire
Kill switch on bars with inside wire
Whizzer rear belt drive
Cleveland welding fork lock
Tool Box
Foot Boards
Rear Stand
Walbro carburetor / air cleaner
Fox grips / red jewels

Handmade gas tank, gas cap, tool box, front end golf cart leaf spring, primary cover / lexan, foot boards / aluminum diamond tread, handle bars, exhaust and intake manifolds, and stainless steel exhaust pipe.

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
I posted pictures of my two home builds in another thread but I thought that I would break it down to two threads and show pics of the builds separately. So Here goes first with the "Monroe". As you can see from the pics, I changed a few things along the way, like chain to belt drive, I'll give the reasons as we go....enjoy...
Nice build...