Building A Bike & Looking For Suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

jj20051

May 27, 2010
colorado
Alright, so I'm building a bike this summer with some spare money. I've been looking into what I can buy, but there seems to be a large debate as to who to buy from. I personally like the models presented by Boy Go Fast on ebay, but I'm a bit concerned about quality. I'd like my bike to last at least 6 months and I intend to use it a lot...

Many manufacturers list "weird" upgrades that I don't understand and all of them seem different. So here are the questions I have:

- What is the performance/quality difference between a slant head and a non-slant head?
- Should I buy a smaller sprocket as I hear it adds power, but I live around a lot of hills... Suggestions?
- I plan on using locktite since I feel like the bolts will come undone. Yes, No?
- I read about an improved chain tensioner somewhere, has anyone used this? Is it recommended?
- The last time (I built one like a year and a half ago) the clutch and the engine stop button didn't work, any ideas why?
- Dual start, is it worth it?
- I heard skyhawk sold the highest quality on market, any experiences?

Please feel free to answer as many or as few as you'd like... I need all the help I can get.

I also liked the Flying Horse Silver from Bike Berry because of the guarantee.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Alright, so I'm building a bike this summer with some spare money. I've been looking into what I can buy, but there seems to be a large debate as to who to buy from. I personally like the models presented by Boy Go Fast on ebay, but I'm a bit concerned about quality. I'd like my bike to last at least 6 months and I intend to use it a lot...

Many manufacturers list "weird" upgrades that I don't understand and all of them seem different. So here are the questions I have:

- What is the performance/quality difference between a slant head and a non-slant head?
None to my knowledge. A slant head means you can mount the engine higher, and the plug won't hit the top bar.

- Should I buy a smaller sprocket as I hear it adds power, but I live around a lot of hills... Suggestions?
Seeing as you're buying a kit, use the stock one, and if you're not happy, use a smaller one.

- I plan on using locktite since I feel like the bolts will come undone. Yes, No?
Go to your local hardware store, and buy "self locking nuts". Basically they have a little nylon ring on the end, and so won't come loose. Doesn't hurt to loctite them anyway. And quite honestly, I would remove all the studs, and just buy some bolts.

- I read about an improved chain tensioner somewhere, has anyone used this? Is it recommended?
The stock ones are horrible. Look around for another one. Also try and buy a "415 half link", it lets you adjust your chain to a more accurate size, so you might not need the tensioner.

- The last time (I built one like a year and a half ago) the clutch and the engine stop button didn't work, any ideas why?
The killswitch might have not been wired properly, or was just broken. Not sure about the clutch, need mroe info.

- Dual start, is it worth it?
What do you mean dual start? You mean the ones with the pull start/centrufigal clutch? These are good, but you may need to swap your pedals for shorter ones, as these types of motors are a bit bulkier, and the pedals hit them.e

- I heard skyhawk sold the highest quality on market, any experiences?
Honestly, just got with any kit, and as stuff breaks, replace it.

Please feel free to answer as many or as few as you'd like... I need all the help I can get.

I also liked the Flying Horse Silver from Bike Berry because of the guarantee.
Hopefully this helps. Some other advice:

Don't use rubber when mounting them engine.
Make sure your rear sprocket is aligned.
Look on eBay for a "Dual brake handle". Control the brakes with one hand, the clutch with the other.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
If you have hills, a shifter kit is a great option.

I've had luck with almost every engine sold out there so the difference mainly rests with after the sale service which is very important if you have an order issue. I do prefer slant head engine because they are more powerful. Unfortunately, I have had issues with the slant head warping causing head gasket leaks on 2 out of 4 engines. When the head did warp, I trued the head by sanding it on a piece of glass and reapplied with a slightly thicker headgasket that was able to accomodate future warping a little better.

Dual start is worth it but pull cord must be replaced with a quality one because stock ones will fail after several uses. I used a replacement cord bought from Walmart which has held up to 2 years of use.

jj20051

May 27, 2010
colorado
Alright, thanks thus far everyone.

Where would I find a shifter kit BTW?

Also how exactly is the bike supposed to run? When I go to start it I'll hold down the clutch, but will it be hard to pedal like the last one I made? How would I make the engine idol correctly?

So many questions...

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Alright, thanks thus far everyone.

Where would I find a shifter kit BTW?

Also how exactly is the bike supposed to run? When I go to start it I'll hold down the clutch, but will it be hard to pedal like the last one I made? How would I make the engine idol correctly?

So many questions...
If you look for a pull start one, it will proably have a centrufigal clutch. This means you just rip the pull start, and the engine will idle, until you pull back the throttle. Once you pull back the throttle the clutch automatically engages and it starts pulling you.

I think Sick Bike Parts does shift kits.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You can get a pull start without the centrifugal clutch. I liked the centrifugal clutch until it started slipping, not an easy fix, seller had no replacement parts for the centr. clutch and few sellers handle them. Some people have good luck with them, but I'm done with them. I like the pull start, but be aware that it requires either a wider pedal crank or shorter crank arms for clearance. I would buy from one of the sellers who sponsor this site. You will pay more than from an ebay discounter, but what if you get a dud? You won't get much help or a replacement from an ebay seller. I had five good engines from BGF and one loser. The loser cost me more than what I "saved" on the first five so I didn't save anything and in fact lost. Feel like gambling? No more gambling for me. I'll pay a little more initially for service I may need later. I'll stick with these guys.
SB

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I wouldnt get a pullstart or centrifugal clutch add on or a engine that comes with it.
Those options make your engine around 9"s wide requiring high mounting and special peddal cranks.Took me a extra week just to get my motor mounted, if i had bought a regualr kit i could have mounted it in a few hours.

You want it to idle good,seal your intake and carb with silicon,adjust your idle screw,dont tie your throttle cable tight to the frame,oil your carb slide and install it properly.It should run fine , if not you did it wrong.

Last edited: