New Q-Matic ?? 2-Matic ???

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
it is very similar to the Q-Matic,,,but uses 2 centrifugal clutches somehow from what I understand
Quenton isn't going to use something that robs as much power as a CVT
I do know that just changing belt types/sizes on a Q-Matic will change the gearing ;)
(different profiles ride on the pulleys in diferent places)

BTW I have over 6100 miles on my EZM stretch now :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
it is very similar to the Q-Matic,,,but uses 2 centrifugal clutches somehow from what I understand
Quenton isn't going to use something that robs as much power as a CVT
I do know that just changing belt types/sizes on a Q-Matic will change the gearing ;)
(different profiles ride on the pulleys in diferent places)

BTW I have over 6100 miles on my EZM stretch now :)
Bill,
That's some serious mileage! Makes my but tired just thinking about it. I'm guessing you have a very comfortable seat and no hemorrhoids. What kind of issues have you had regarding the motor and clutch setup? There must have been something with all those miles piled up. Engine still running strong? What kind of crankcase oil are you using, anything special? I was wondering about that opti-4 for 4 strokes. I wonder if it would increase the life span of the motor.
SB

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I use this MC solo seat, mounted to a Micargi stock springer seat bottom frame (very comfortable (^))

I have never had any problem with the engine (HuaSheng 142F) or clutch (6-shoe, specially made for EZM by MaxTorque)

all I have ever done with the engine is adjust the carb on the first day, change the oil religiously (every 100m for the 1st 500, every 250 since then, using cheap 10w30<I change it so often, why worry ?> :))
I have never even looked at my plug, as there was never a reason to (why fix it, if it isn't broke)

as far as the clutch goes, the last time I had it stripped down (@ 6,000m), the shoes still were not even worn across the entire surface !!!

I expect 50,000m will not be that difficult to reach with this combination, and think 100k would be a realistic lifespan (^)

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well, that's quite the testimonial. When I have considered buying the motor and clutch I always end up backing off because of the initial expense, a far cry from a HT 2 stroke, so it seems expensive by comparison. But as I look back over the past year and count up what I spend on motors which were marginal and one at around $175.00 which never was any good (finally burned up in the fire... good riddance to that one) and which caused me many frustrating days of tinkering, waiting for parts, etc. etc.... then figure in all the little things to try to make it have enough oomph to climb a hill... expansion tank, iridium plug, light porting and dreaming of a shift kit. That's expensive, too. I like building the bike, but as for the motor I mostly just want it to do it's thing starting right up, having enough power to climb a hill and cruise without straining the motor and not have to tinker with it frequently. I've had automatic clutches on two HT motors and liked the one for the time it worked. So I like the automatic clutch, but will never buy another HT automatic.
I'm just thinking through my keyboard here and wishing I had gone the four stroke route a year ago for my daily rider.
SB

BlueBloodCycles

Jul 12, 2010
Kentucky
I would love to get my hands on any "matic"... I've emailed a few times about becoming a dealer, and received no response. Must be busy in the workshop =)

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Fellas, if you get a chance to see the quality in the Q-matic up close and personal you'll understand why Lee wants the 2-matic just right and that can take some time. My g4 is what happens when you hurry something along and don't sweat the details. My dad is a retired machinist and was very impressed w/ the EZM unit's engineering. They're well made and designed and Bill's 7000 miles with no discernable wear is testiment enough. Don't waste your money, spend a little more and get Quality! Buy an EZM for your inframe motorbikes.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I would love to get my hands on any "matic"... I've emailed a few times about becoming a dealer, and received no response. Must be busy in the workshop =)
Who did you email? Did you call Quenton or Mike? Their phone numbers are on the EZ website. This is copied off the site:

BECOME A DEALER BY CONTACTING.....

LEE GUENTHER - 252-475-0406 (East Coast) OR

MIKE SIMPSON - 916-519-8612 (West Coast)

Here's a link to the site:

EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY

Hi BlueBloodCycles,

We are very interested in talking to you about a dealership in KY.
KY is special to me as part of my family is from KY [Mother from Elizabethtown].
We usually test & race our motorbikes every year in Dawson Springs, KY.

Production edition #6 will be shipping soon.

Please contact me directly at
[email protected]
or
252-475-0406

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Have fun,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a few minor changes. The front mounting holes have been slotted to allow a wider range of primary belt options. The cover mounting system has been changed to plastic pins to replace the 1/4" x 20 screws.

Have fun,
Happy Birthday Q! brnotNow go out n ride and have some fun!brnot

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Ohh how time flies? Are we sure it's his birthday, or is he just trying to "harvest" gifts? Well, if indeed it is his birthday, I should say "Happy Birthday Quenton"!

Mike

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Just a note to the followers of this thread, YES Q-matics are now shipping from NC and CA! We are now assembling the USA parts here in CA which is a bonus (lessening shipping costs) to the western market!

Mike

bobdirt

Apr 12, 2009
usa
I use this MC solo seat, mounted to a Micargi stock springer seat bottom frame (very comfortable (^))

I have never had any problem with the engine (HuaSheng 142F) or clutch (6-shoe, specially made for EZM by MaxTorque)

all I have ever done with the engine is adjust the carb on the first day, change the oil religiously (every 100m for the 1st 500, every 250 since then, using cheap 10w30<I change it so often, why worry ?> :))
I have never even looked at my plug, as there was never a reason to (why fix it, if it isn't broke)

as far as the clutch goes, the last time I had it stripped down (@ 6,000m), the shoes still were not even worn across the entire surface !!!

I expect 50,000m will not be that difficult to reach with this combination, and think 100k would be a realistic lifespan (^)
Yes, quite the testimonial. When I was a used car salesman we had similar statements.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bobdirt,
To my experience AZBill is a straight shooter. I just recently got an EZM tranny from a forum member here who changed his mind about what kind of build he wanted to do. I've been following the EZMotors setup for a year now, wanting one. Just now got a motor and mounting plate and am looking forward to using it. I have not heard one person say this is a bad setup. Just because somebody is a dealer doesn't mean they're trying to make a sale.
SB

Hi tfiebig,

The 2 speed is in testing, and we are trying to lower cost. Currently the fabrication shops are acting totally stupid, and want top dollar. Considering the economy is slow, we thought a few shops would rather lower the price and keep the crew working, but they would rather send the workers home instead.

As soon as we find a shop willing to adjust the labor cost we will start production.

Have fun,