help....90% complete

GoldenMotor.com

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
this is my first build and spent a slow 2 1/2 months working on it. building mounts, truing the tires, ect. i am about 90% done. just got the chain on ( no fuel in it yet) and i have no free pedal. its a 80cc raw motor. at some point i have also broken my throttle. minor set back before i ever get to ride the bike. i've been reading this forum for a solution and can't seem to find one. i'm fairly mechanical but this is my first motor so i don't want to mess up by going in blind. any suggestions?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How is the cable adjusted? The arm should be pushed up tight and then secure the cable stay so there is no slack.

If that doesn't work, take the cover off and smack the rod in the center of the sprocket with a ball peen hammer.

If that doesn't work, put that back together, then take off the other cover, pull in and lock the clutch and tap on the metal plate (not the gear) all around it.

Let us know what you get.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Wheel jerks ?,,,,,is the sproket centered on the rear spokes w/1/16 inch out of round or less?

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
i'm pretty sure its centered. if i take the spark plug the only resistance i get is the piston moving. its like the wheel has a little play but after a 1/4 rotation it doesn't want to give with out forcing it.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Free play in the chain,,,does it go away top and bottom on the chain when it gets hard to turn?,,,, like if you lower the chain tensioner a little (more free play),will it turn easy then?

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
ok. no binding of the chain and my tension is the same through out the rotation. i've looked at the animated clutch diagram. is the little ball behind the pin supposed to be secured inside or should it come out easily if needed. mine seems be in pretty secure. i did tap both sides,it seemed to loosen a bit. also would it help if i put some (mixed) fuel in it for lubrication

Santa_cruz_loc

Jan 15, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA.
The ball (I call it a dingle berry) is supposed to spin free and will simply fall out if you remove the pin, that's normal. It sound to me as well that the chain is catching up somewhere. Are you using a standard 415 chain?