Finishing the Greyhound Build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have it set up for vbrakes. I have them on my good recumbent and you nearbout need seatbelts when you shut down hard, I was impressed when I installed them.
Elmo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU"

Same to you and your's Elmo! TY.

You really have talked me into upgrading a welder on the wishlist. That thing is gonna be cool. Did you ever see "spreaders" on the mast of a sailing ship? I have visions of doing that with your concept and using the spare seat post like that. For Halloween, could rig mock sails and dress like a pirate, lol 4th of July, a flag pole.....

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Ron it is going to look something like that. I have started my fuel tank. Used a 9" piece of 6" exhaust pipe and capped the ends with plate steel. According to my calculations it should hold a little over a gallon. Now I am looking for a suitable filler pipe and cap. Do not want to use a pipe nipple and pipe cap if I can avoid it. Also am looking for a petcock/shutoff valve with 1/4" pipe threads on the inlet and a hose barb outlet.
Elmo

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, Yes, Your Avatar Is Your New Build. I Was Joking, Of Course. I Had That Already Figured Out!! My Avatar Is A Copy Of My Cvt Build (done By The Artist "hiker", Whom I Fear Was Eaten By The Bears In The Michigan Forest!)! Yeah, I Been Thinking About Your Gearing For The Hf Eng. It A Bugger For Sure. The Tank Will Be Cool. Pic`s Of The Diy Jackshaft. The (staton-inc) 3 Prong Sprocket And Grooved Free Wheel Adapter Make It So Easy And Compact (and Cheaper). When Are We Going To Get Some Good Weather?? Both My Tires Went Flat, Put Slime In Them, Now The Bike Feels Sluggish!! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
A little more progress today. Got the wheel from Azbill mounted, had to spread the frame and dimple the chainstay to clear the sprocket mounting bolts. hooked up the pedals and chain and rode it around to see how it handled. I did not have enough chain for a derailer so I hooked it up single speed. Did ok. havent installed the brakes yet so didnt go too fast.The sprocket is bolted to a disc brake rotor.

Attachments

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
The build is looking good there, Elmo. It looks like you'll be on the road with that pretty soon. That stretch design is giving me ideas for doing something quite similar, but making it into a cargo bike with either a large basket or a small stake body in the rear. The rear wheel would have to be smaller to keep the center of gravity low enough, so I'd be looking at a 20" rear.

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
hey elmo
that is exactly like my next build, i like the greyhound i have one on my bobber bike.
i found a full suspension frame that i will stretch and ad the greyhound, post more pics i will soon have my frame welded

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I am waiting on a 30t sprocket to set up my jackshaft. Very hard to find a 30t for #41 chain. Good luck on your build.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well yesterday my buddy Mike had some spare time and made my bearing adapters for the bb jackshaft and cut down a 12t sprocket and welded my 30t to it. Spent most of the day putting the bike together and looking at chain lines. I think it will go fairly smooth. More to come later. Notice the ugly brazing job.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I mounted the HF engine today and fitted the chains to the jackshaft. I have a 10t centrifugal clutch from Maxtorque with a low speed spring. It operates just off idle. I have no way to check idle speed but can almost count the firing pulses at idle. 10T to 30T engine to jkshft, 12T to 48T jkshft to rear wheel for 12 to 1 gear reduction. The gear ratio calculator says 32.2 mph at 5000 rpm. I still have to mount the gas tank and fab a throttle linkage and make an exhaust. If I have a good day tomorrow I should be able to try it out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
looking forward to your findings Elmo! I have throttle left and can get 5020 RPM. Really liking the HF

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Dang it my gas tank is too big. So used the hf one and muffler temporarily. Made a throttle from brake lever and cable. My stop collars came in on ups this evening so tomorrow will take a ride. Rode some in the neighborhood and remembered why I ride recumbents.

Attachments