My project bike, (with a special feature)

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Hello all, I found this by accident while taking a walk behind my friend's house. I've been looking for a vintage frame for some time now, and was just about to order a new Chinese bike because I couldn't find anything suitable. The fact that this bike already had a motor on it is just icing on the cake. Of course the motor is beyond my repair capabilities, but I had always planned to use an in-frame motor anyway. Purchase price, $10. brnot

Attachments

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
That should work real good,If you want to sell that old motor set up I would be interested.Just let me know.PM me if you do. Thanks and have fun. David usflg

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I have no idea how long it had been sitting there. The guy I bought it from said his son bought it to fix up and use, so I assume it was already motorized though not being used. It's going to take a little (lot?) of work to get it in running order, but I'm happy to do the work on a classic bike.
Finding a bike like this by chance seems pretty slim to me, but finding one that was already motorized seems astronomical.
BTW, I'm planning a boardtrack style build. dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wasp,
That, is a find my friend. The metal riveted Schwinn plaque on the front makes it the real thing. Made in Chicago, with pride. Congratulations. That is going to be a classic ride. Don't let anyone talk you into drilling holes in that frame to mount the motor. There are many ways to get around that sacrilege. Keep us posted with your progress. Wouldn't want to sell it, would you? :)
Tom

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Wasp,
That, is a find my friend. The metal riveted Schwinn plaque on the front makes it the real thing. Made in Chicago, with pride. Congratulations. That is going to be a classic ride. Don't let anyone talk you into drilling holes in that frame to mount the motor. There are many ways to get around that sacrilege. Keep us posted with your progress. Wouldn't want to sell it, would you? :)
Tom
I'd be interested to read about those other methods of mounting the engine, (I do use the search function, but a link is always helpful). Even though I plan to do a boardtrack set-up, I knew right away that I didn't want to modify the frame in any way. In some ways I feel handicapped by that, but I think preserving as much of the original bike as is possible is important. I don't even want to re-paint it even though it has many scratch marks with rust. If anyone has any suggestions for those I'd like to hear them.

dvddtz, I had planned to offer the engine to a friend in return for a favor, (letting me use his welding equipment) but if he doesn't want it I'll let you know.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wasp,
Here's a link to several options to drilling holes. Your downtube isn't actually oversized but it is curved and sets further forward than a 'V' frame bike so some of these front motor mount ideas might be useful to you. http://motorbicycling.com/f6/oversized-tubing-solved-6427.html
As for covering scratches, you might find an automotive touch up paint that will match that Schwinn. Dupli-Color is one manufacturer that has a good variety of colors to choose from. Most good auto parts stores carry it. Good luck.
Tom

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Re: My project bike, (updated)

Here are some more pics,

1. 476 miles on the odometer, this bike has been places. 60 MPH? on a bicycle? xct2

2. The rust on the wheels comes off much easier than I thought it would.

3. There's one spot that was covered by a piece of electrical tape. I think it's going to be difficult to find a paint match for this bike. The way it was sitting in the woods, some places are much more damaged than others. Those rusted nicks are typical over the entire frame. I don't know, maybe I should re-paint it after all. I'd really prefer black anyway.

4./5. The local bike guy gave me these handlebars, but I think I am going to try to find a pair that are more "boardtrack".

Attachments