Bicycle engine Paint

GoldenMotor.com

troy994719

Feb 26, 2008
Has anyone painted the engine? I live on the water and the salt air seems to rust everything, so I would like to try to protect it with a high temp paint.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Engine Paint

i have talked to numurous people that have painted thier engine. they say to use bbq grill paint to paint your bicycle engine and it works like a charm. welcome to the forum troy glad to have you with us

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

Yes, you can paint it any color. I like the bare finish as if it leaks any nasties, a can of brake clean will make good as new again. If you want it to look like a Honda gold wing engine a nice aluminum color use this.
Dupli-color DSGM347 Medium Gray Metallic. At least that is what I remember when I had a gold wing and used carb cleaner and found out the aluminum parts were painted. I think you can powder coat the engine as well. There is a lot of discussion on what's the best for keeping it cool. Black is what comes to mind but this will open up a can of worms as others will not agree. I'd say do what you like and to heck with what others say its your engine you can treat how you want to. During the world war 2 the Harleys that went into the service were painted all olive drab all of it, engine included. The guy in Mo. who races chain saws, yea they really do. Said he knocks off all the cooling fins on the flywheel so the engine will get good and hot he said it will make it seal better on the rings. But the life of his engines are short and I did say fins on the flywheel and not the cylinder. He also removes any base gasket to bump up compression and advances the timing and does the spark plug mod I showed you all, along with other things to make the saw really rip for a little while.
Well if I had a sand blasting cabinet I'd try blasting all the outside and leaving it at that. more surface area equals better heat dissipation. My opinion only.
Black wrinkle on the cylinder with red wrinkle on the head would look sharp and then polish the case covers and maybe the case but that's too much work for me. My motto, chrome won't get you home but it might get you l88ed. If that is naughty Mod. do your duty. I apologize.
So what color you thinking of?
Norman

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State

I have used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with very good results. I used the flat black. They have about seven different colors. You can also use a good quality rattle can paint (any color) and cover with a clear coat of engine enamel to protect if from the gas and oil.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Clean it with brake or carb cleaner first.
Sand the chrome on the exhaust with some 220 paper until there is NO SHINE, if you are apinting the exhaust.
I used Krylon with no primer and it worked great.
The exhaust will only burn off from the flange to about 6" down the pipe if you decide to paint the exhaust.

Let it dry for 24 hours and you shouldn't have any problems with fuel or oil removing the finish- in fact, my gas cap always leaked and the worst that happened was a stain would start on the tank, but could be wiped off.

The paint stayed.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
VHT hi temp paint is pretty good stuff. I've used it on my exhaust systems (from car headers to expasion chambers) and it retains the gloss. Plus it comes in lots of different colors. You can usually get it at any auto store.