Motorized vs. Electric

GoldenMotor.com

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
They'll need to post the trail "No motor bicycles" to get my attention. No motor vehicles just means I can't drive my work truck down the trail.
I don't hassle with bike trails where I live under power. For one thing they're too crowded, slow bikers, families with kids, people on foot. Where they cross roads there is always people walking dogs. If I do ride a stretch it's to connect with another road and I shut the motor off.

They're posted here no motor vehicles. If MBs ever get popular enough to become a problem that warrants a separate No Motor Bicycles Allowed sign, I think it'll mean the time of being under the radar is over and it won't stop there.

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
I have a real Motorcycle and understand "loud pipes save lives" (kinda). But in the case of loud gas motor bicycles. That is just looking for trouble. A Gas powered bike should be quiet. You want to get around the law by claiming it is a moped/Bicycle but then again you want to be cool and have more power by less restrictive exhaust. You can not have it both ways.
"Loud Gas Bicycles = Here come the Judge" and Loud gas bikes and fast gas bikes on trails will get the attention you do not want.
Heck I have not been stopped yet. But I am sure I will and when I do there is no way I am gonna get out of a ticket by saying its a Bicycle, especially if it has a loud exhaust and if I was going 35 mph with it. Its just the facts.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I have a real Motorcycle and understand "loud pipes save lives" (kinda).
Yeah the biker thats dressed head to toe with Black leather and a skull cap (that protects nothing) is really all about safety , yeah right.
Loud pipes are only to make people look , grief neighborhoods, and too look like a badass.
If safety was a concern said biker would be decked out with a orange hit me vest , like road construction guys.
I am sure plenty will disagree but I know how i feel, 2 doors down there is a dick that goes for a ride nightly and with every gear and stop he cracks the throttle on his modified exhaust chopper.
Easy to see or hear what hes about.
sry for the hyjack

Go gas all the way , and at a later date add the electric front wheel , thats my plan.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Speaking just about the motor, there is no comparison and why modern rail locomotives use them. An electric motor has a high output and flat torque curve across the rpm band from start-up. It can eliminate much of the need for gearing needed in ICE engines.

Electrical storage for mobile applications is another matter and the main obstacles currently in the way, overcoming weight and cost.
That's why all modern trains have a large deisel engine connected to a generator. Imagine what a battery pack for a train would look like. Only other option would be to have overtrack power lines to feed the trains but then if the power is disrupted the train is stuck dead in its tracks. The next huge advances with electric vehicles will be fuel cell technology coupled with advances in superconductor technology.

Until then......

Long live hydrocarbons! (technically all hydrocarbons we pump out of the ground is just stored solar energy in chemical form) lol

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
heres a crayz idea, for "tallcrown", my buddies on theyre vw r getting these "dump valves" put in after the cat and basically its just a "y"pipe with a valve (looks like a small cheap drive by wire throtle body) thats has a wire less servo and this valve either opens the exhaust right after the cat or closes and keeps the exhaust traveling threw the rest of the pipe, how hard would it b to make a lil gismo on 3/4" pipe or whatever your using and have two pipes one on each side and get to choose silent on powerfull, would the end result justify the time effort and money into something like that, ive herd some pretty quiet china girls they just dont got much grunt to them!

tallcrown

Jun 14, 2011
NJ
You lost me at:" a "y"pipe with a valve (looks like a small cheap drive by wire throtle body) thats has a wire less servo". I dont understand what it looks like

Last weekend I found and purchased an 18" x 3" diameter bullet shaped muffler off of some old moped. You can unbolt it to take it apart and clean all the baffles inside of it. never saw anything like it.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
You lost me at:" a "y"pipe with a valve (looks like a small cheap drive by wire throtle body) thats has a wire less servo". I dont understand what it looks like

Last weekend I found and purchased an 18" x 3" diameter bullet shaped muffler off of some old moped. You can unbolt it to take it apart and clean all the baffles inside of it. never saw anything like it.
Did a smokin burnout with a front wheel drive electric bicycle hub motor in front of a bunch of friends once.

Should have seen the look on their faces ! :)

Never saw anything like it ! :)