Questions for experienced cyclists

GoldenMotor.com

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Ok guys I'm a 21 year old poor guy living in
Charlotte North Carolina

In my state 50cc and under motor vehicles not capable of exceeding 30mph are allowed on the roads here

I am considering buying a motor kit from Piston Bikes a site sponsor here.

They are very cheap compared to motor scooters (What i had previously)

So i was wondering this.

1.Will the engine last over 1,000 miles if taken proper care of and garage kept.
2. Is it practical to use as transportation.

I've had 2 scooters in the past year and they both ended up totally failing on me because of the cheap Chinese engines

The send engine with 3,000 miles i had ended up dropping the Exhaust valve and breaking the whole engine.....

So now i'm stuck trying to find new wheels with LIMITED money

So tell me guys. what should i do.
what would you guys do.
Thanks.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
One, a properly installed and running HT engine kit will last a long time, well over a thousand miles.

For commuting, it depends on how sturdy your hind end is, and how long and treacherous your commute is. Bicycles, even with suspension forks, aren't sprung like scooters.
Well i am very tough
I would pedal the bike if i had no other option

So if i take good care of the engine whats a reasonable life to expect on the piston.

Just the piston and cylinder walls.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Newbikers let me start by saying, Welcome to our world, Enjoy the ride. Also be careful these things are addicting. If you like to "tinker" then these engines are perfect for you. If I'm not mistaken these engines are the same ones you find in those scooters, minus the transmission and the other stuff. To answer your question of transportation. They can be great just baby them and take care of their needs and you'll be just fine.

If your ever coming down to Sc. give me a holler, we'll ride together.
you can check out my daily transportation here. http://motorbicycling.com/f15/here-she-28412.html

Good luck and ride safe.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Keep the weight of the bike down

and don't run wide open throttle all the time-

I think some peddling assist may help the motors life- especially if you are heavy

I prefer a 36 or 41 sprocket,
so the revs aren't so high cruising, and narrow wheels and or tires that help the roll

A china girl isn't the same as a scooter motor- it's two cycle so the oil mixes in to the fuel instead of having to be changed-

I haven't had much trouble in two years- none with the motor- mostly tinkering with the other stuff, and mostly just to get it like I want it- but I haven't done a great many miles-

for short trips- it's a convenient gas saver

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I weigh about 230 so that's a strain on these 2 strokers but I have not had one fail yet, I've built 3 and of the 3 I think the friction kit would be the most reliable had it not been sabotaged. I plan on buying a cheap 2-stroker and saving up for an EZM qmatic later when the funds become available. I also have like a 50 tooth sprocket and don't mind goin slow and peddle assisting.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
All Chinese happytime motor kits have NO quality control.
They are all crap.
Only the DEALER that you bought it from can help you if you have trouble.
There are very few that will help you after the sale.
It has been too long for me to recommend a dealer.
I do not build happytimes anymore.
Count on everything from the rear sprocket to the twist throttle and everything in between to be off in quality.
How expensive would a new motor for the scooter be??
a complete 50 cc engine with transmission for $300.00
Hooper Imports Experts on Chinese Motorcycles and Parts, Engines - Product Detail

A 70 cc for $300.00 as well .
http://www.hooperimports.com/product.aspx?pf_id=70cc_4M-t

Count on spending many frustrating hours replacing all the inferior quality parts until magically one day they quit breaking for a while NO kidding.
Happytimes are a hobby only.

Look at a thats dax ora BMP friction drive if it doesnt rain too much where you live.
Without the loss of friction between the drive roller and the back tire, when it rains, they will be a much better option on a motorized bicycle.

FYI I used to buy parts from a very well known Chinese scooter importer.
All of a sudden they began to fail .
I began to really carefully inspect the replacements this jerk was selling me.

They were used returns from that the factory was sending him .
He did not want to be stuck with them so he was selling them as new.

Buyer beware when dealing with Chinese imported stuff.

Last edited:

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
All Chinese happytime motor kits have NO quality control.
They are all crap.
Only the DEALER that you bought it from can help you if you have trouble.
There are very few that will help you after the sale.
It has been too long for me to recommend a dealer.
I do not build happytimes anymore.
Count on everything from the rear sprocket to the twist throttle and everything in between to be off in quality.
How expensive would a new motor for the scooter be??
a complete 50 cc engine with transmission for $300.00
Hooper Imports Experts on Chinese Motorcycles and Parts, Engines - Product Detail

A 70 cc for $300.00 as well .

Count on spending many frustrating hours replacing all the inferior quality parts until magically one day they quit breaking for a while NO kidding.
Happytimes are a hobby only.

Look at a thats dax ora BMP friction drive if it doesnt rain too much where you live.
Without the loss of friction between the drive roller and the back tire, when it rains, they will be a much better option on a motorized bicycle.

FYI I used to buy parts from a very well known Chinese scooter importer.
All of a sudden they began to fail .
I began to really carefully inspect the replacements this jerk was selling me.

They were used returns from that the factory was sending him .
He did not want to be stuck with them so he was selling them as new.

Buyer beware when dealing with Chinese imported stuff.

Thanks for the info
I was fixing stuff on my Chinese scooter weekly so i'm no stranger to that

The main thing i really like about these engines is the simplicity of them
I know alot about small engines so this wouldn't be hard for me to fix anything on it

Especially since 2 strokes dont have valves like a 4 stroke.
(And yes I had a 2T scooter before)

So i'm no stranger to mixing gas

Another thing that interests me is the fact the engine can be rebuilt for very cheap
I noticed a new cylinder costs 25$. a new scooter cylinder costs around 100$
I noticed the head costs 10$.

My old 150cc head was 100$ shipped to replace.

These engines are easier to work on and cheaper to rebuild
So in the long run i think a Motor bike will actually cost less to ride then a China Scooter.

The china metal is so weak that the bolts and everything strip out all the time and everything rattles loose. so I'm used to that crap

I already have a helicoil kit in my garage LOL

Anyways I was also interested in how the back sprocket attaches to the hub of the wheel.

Could anyone explain or show me some pictures? That is the onlything in the kit that i don't fully understand.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I recommend going with a 4-stroke kit. It costs more at first, but it will save you money in the long run. The 4-strokes use less fuel, don't require oil in mix, and are much more reliable on average than the Chinese 2-strokes. They rarely require any tinkering.

I've commuted on both types, and I won't ever daily commute on a Chinese 2-stroke again. I'm over that drama, just my humble opinion.