Words of Wisdom: Zapp OWWW!

GoldenMotor.com

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
So because im extremely smart I decide to disengage the kill switch to keep it off for a theft deterrent. Unbenonance to me, the engine can still start. So I completely forget about it, start peddling, started the engine. The engine was acting really funny so I get off and keep the clutch out, press the kill switch….. doesn’t turn off. So I decide, okay I’ve pulled the cap off the spark plug before so ill do that to stop it…. Bad idea! Zap zap zap! OWWW. 20 minutes later and I still feel it. If this ever happens to you don’t do what I did. Please!
.duh.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I got a keyed kill switch on the way from amazon. Im good at electrical work so my next step is to wire everything through the frame. Speaking of the boot, are there any good upgrades for the wire and sparkplug? I read alot about them but no dice on where to get them or what to use.

Btw heres the key i got.

Amazon.com: Key Switch with 2 Keys: Electronics

There are some cheaper ones but this one came with prime so i was happy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
So because im extremely smart I decide to disengage the kill switch to keep it off for a theft deterrent. Unbenonance to me, the engine can still start. So I completely forget about it, start peddling, started the engine. The engine was acting really funny so I get off and keep the clutch out, press the kill switch….. doesn’t turn off. So I decide, okay I’ve pulled the cap off the spark plug before so ill do that to stop it…. Bad idea! Zap zap zap! OWWW. 20 minutes later and I still feel it. If this ever happens to you don’t do what I did. Please!
.duh.
I still test my car battery by licking my thumbs and putting one on each terminal (but while the engine is off). It's just the fastest way to tell if the battery "feels" right. This probably means I'm nuts though, huh?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I still test my car battery by licking my thumbs and putting one on each terminal (but while the engine is off). It's just the fastest way to tell if the battery "feels" right. This probably means I'm nuts though, huh?

I still check nine volt batteries with my tongue.:D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
But bolt cutters won't start an engine protected by a
Lock.
The kind of people who carry bolt cutters hidden on their person are usually the sorts who know how to hot-wire something as simple as an MB. We in Indianapolis, unfortunately, are familiar with those kind of people.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
Any security can be defeated but the majority of criminals are the stupid average dee dee dee criminals. The bike chain is cool as **** but cant you make something like that at the home depot? I'm thinking 70 grade with a loop plus a padlock that can't be cut by bolt cutters. To protect from scratching you could make a sleeve from crappy black fabric. I also have a cover over my bike to protect from rain and turning onlookers.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a Kryptonite New York noose. It will defeat a bolt cutter. A saw or grinder would work.https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1196 The boot and keyed ignition are still a good idea. Any security can be defeated if somebody wants it bad enough.
Wow! I read the specs, and this thing is awesome. If some dude hadn't wrecked my MB (with me on it to boot) I'd buy this! Gotta say, though, I think it may cost more than my motorbike did.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Any security can be defeated but the majority of criminals are the stupid average dee dee dee criminals. The bike chain is cool as **** but cant you make something like that at the home depot? I'm thinking 70 grade with a loop plus a padlock that can't be cut by bolt cutters. To protect from scratching you could make a sleeve from crappy black fabric. I also have a cover over my bike to protect from rain and turning onlookers.
I'm not sure you'll find Manganese steel chain at Home Depot. But I noticed something of concern to me in the description: "•Includes Evolution series 4 Disc Lock with 14mm MAX-Performance steel shackle:" That shackle on the lock, can it stand against a bolt cutter? What kind of steel is the 14mm shackle made of? They don't say. If I can chop the shackle with a bolt cutter (surely they must have thought of this) I will have the bike.