60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I know Jim understands my point here probably better than anyone else here.

I have to say that I don't understand your point at all. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. But
then again closing the thread in the first place didn't make your point more understandable either.
What is the agenda? "Are we having fun yet?" or is it all about undisclosed control issues of this Site?
Just wondering if there was Freedom of Speech here?

GeneFiorot

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Anyone else thought of you doing something like this on a bicycle, not for use on the street of course?

Yes it's a 50cc supercharged Honda / Chinese cloned Lifan Horizontal 4-Stroke, on a Honda Dream 50!

JMO, I love reading about people who see a challenge and say I'm gonna do this, then let the nay sayer's see it happen in reality!

Jim / Dv, you can do it...http://www.moviewavs.com/0085412111/WAVS/Movies/Waterboy/youcandoitallnightlong.wav

Peace Crazy Horse.
I love it! Been wanting to try something like that!

This has been an interesting thread for sure! I think 52 mph will be a far cry from a stock China. This will be fun and interesting. Jim has some resources at his disposal. I think you got the best shot at it that I know of!

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I have to say that I don't understand your point at all. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. But
then again closing the thread in the first place didn't make your point more understandable either.
What is the agenda? "Are we having fun yet?" or is it all about undisclosed control issues of this Site?

GeneFiorot
Gene,

There are a lot of wanna be's that come and go!

Yesterday I couldn't spell mechanic, now I are one...the mods get tired of this stuff...and I don't blame them!

This thread will cruise along just fine...and it will be a bench mark for future 24 hour mechanics.

Joe is with me in this endeavor!

Edit" Foureasy and a, very, few others talk the talk & walk the walk...it's all about "gitter done"

Jim

Last edited:

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
alright!!!, it's jims speed shop-lol, we should all build something badass, and we can get an all out drag race goin for like a mile long, 20 bikes wide,-lol!!! may the fastest bike win, and then a bike show with bbq and tunes after words, yah!!!...

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Edit" Foureasy and a, very, few others talk the talk & walk the walk...it's all about "gitter done"

Jim
So true Jim. Speed Freaks like us can appreciate this thread. I think its interesting to see how much hp can be squeezed out of these motors and this is why I'm lingering around this thread so much.
Hey Jim, Have you thought of reeding your HT? Let me know and maybe I can help you out because I want to see it done...the 60mph barrier.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have been following this thread since the beginning and I have gained some very useful knowledge as well as some pointers on etiquette. The one question that I haven't seen posed yet is,"will this classify as a world record?" I mean what's the fastest recorded speed for a stock china Bike? or am I still showing my lack of MB knowledge?

Just curious.

BTW Go Jim I believe you guys can pull this off. Just be safe. Like you haven't heard that before lol. I'll sit back in my corner and let you gus have the room again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

GeneFiorot
Gene- try some talcum powder....it makes you less irritable.

...and you are right- "you don't understand...." you DON'T get what you are not qualified to understand.

Freedom of speech? I can censor you gene, I have the power! :) Go back to school (21st century reality school).

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Now back to the real world where Jim chases the elusive 60 mph mark with great vim and vigor!

If you need a time out, I suggest renting "The Worlds Fastest Indian".

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm glad this thread continues. There's lots of good information coming out in it.
One thing is bugging me.
What is an "HT" engine?
I'm kinda new at this. I tried a search and all I could find is "Happy Time". Is that it? How did that get started?

Also this thread reminds me of the MG slogan "Safety Fast".

Rod S

HT refers to "happy time bicycle motor" a name once penned by a hack who is no longer associated with the hobby. He was trying to play on the names the Chinese give fireworks. He did not mean it in a nice way, he made a bad attempt to be funny or "witty" and as usual, fell quite short of the mark.

Somehow, it was taken wrongly by some and turned into a generic term for the Chinese in frame bicycle engine kits.....maybe because it was easier to say, or maybe it was just passed along without thought like most ignorance/bigotry.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

GeneFiorot
Although Jim explained it pretty well - I thought I'd clear it up a bit more...

We've got about five thousand hits a day on this site and about twenty thousand members - it may sound harsh, but the majority of those members are new to this hobby and simply don't know the challenges involved with attempting to get one of these cheap 2 strokes to break 35mph - let alone 60.

Armchair engineers abound, the speed claims have always been a touchy issue, newbs whom think a sprocket swap will achieve mach 2.567 exactly 'cause "they did the math"...

Let's not even get started on those that think a $10 wallyworld speedometer is even vaguely calibrated - even if they know enough to switch it from KPH to MPH lol, so many obsessed with speed alone - they have no idea what it takes to get there, one-upmanship the primary interest they'll happily tack on another 2-5-10 even 20mph to impress. Yet so terribly few will provide any substantiation, posting all sorts of pics of their shiny bike, even vids on youtube - yet somehow they jus' can't seem to find the time to hand the cam to a buddy, to film the car's speedometer whilst they ride...

With only a handful of staff to deal with the chaos, there are some subjects we're just sick of hearing TBH. Think of it as "Freedom from BS" as opposed to infringing on freedom of speech, the "control" our attempt to keep honesty and real data available for all. The more we let such empty boasts slide - the less value the real efforts have, endless hard hours and unimaginable amounts of experience wasted - buried in mindless spam. Believe it or not, when we intercede we do it to protect you and others whom may not know any better, protecting everyone from false expectations, disappointment, wasted time and money - even damage to themselves and the bike they've worked so hard on.

The closing of this thread was a temporary measure - our respect for Jim's skill evidenced by how we didn't simply delete it. We were discussing this via private messages in the interest of providing more details and pictures as the thread was rapidly degrading into irrelevance.

Know this: Here as anywhere, if you make outlandish claims you better be able to back them up. On this forum you may find a quiet lil PM, a post edited/deleted or simply a scornful comment - in the real world, on the track or in the bar, you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

Freedom works both ways FTW, but hey - thanks fer assuming we're tyrants and not jus' a buncha guys that love the hobby enough to help out here o_O

OK Jim, let's see what ya got :D

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
This has been an interesting thread. I can't see why it would be impossible to meet Jim's goal. It's indeed a challenge but it seems to me the expertise is there, the tools are there and the determination is there. Everything needed to make a great shot at 60 in the quarter is in Jim's hands. Even if it falls short it will be a fine effort in the tradition of motorheads everywhere. Personally I think it will be achieved.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
HT refers to "happy time bicycle motor" a name once penned by a hack who is no longer associated with the hobby. He was trying to play on the names the Chinese give fireworks. He did not mean it in a nice way, he made a bad attempt to be funny or "witty" and as usual, fell quite short of the mark.

Somehow, it was taken wrongly by some and turned into a generic term for the Chinese in frame bicycle engine kits.....maybe because it was easier to say, or maybe it was just passed along without thought like most ignorance/bigotry.
I like the term "Happy Time", even though it was originally coined in a malicious way. My friend Hawaii Ed runs a Trek bike, HT engine, SBP kit and front/rear disc brakes on his Trek.

He's having a happy time..shft.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if it can be done with the HT is still to be seen, but without top speed racing challenges and the developments that go with it, we'ed all still be driving modle T's

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I like the term "Happy Time", even though it was originally coined in a malicious way. My friend Hawaii Ed runs a Trek bike, HT engine, SBP kit and front/rear disc brakes on his Trek.

He's having a happy time..shft.
I agree - I vote we takes "HT/Happy Time" and make it ours!

...oh wait ...we did already methinks o_O

:p

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
hey joe it would be so cool to see you do the HE-MAN thing. I mean you have the "POWER" and you have your trusty sidekick a bike that has been transformed into a Megabike with the motor. I just don't know what you would use for the sword part. Maybe an expansion tube...I don't know LOL.

Naw I'm just showin' my age LOL

Seriously though you are right the power of shutting someone up is a powerful thing and for someone who doesn't have a clue it is just keeping things from escalating which is why its called "Moderation"
I don't want to be offensive to anyone but if people could face the truth it wouldn't hurt..Right?

any way Go Jim I wanna see him Gone in 60 ...or at 60 I mean.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Well this n00b is rooting for Jim.

Do all these "HT 80" engine kits I see for sale come from the same factory in China?
Thanks rockhopper,

To answer your question:

It get's even better! Not only do these engines "not" come from the same factory, there really isn't an all inclusive factory!

There are many small businesses with tiny shops that make the kit components...There are numerous shops that make fuel tanks. Other shops make only mufflers. The next guy makes sprockets...another guy makes the castings...and even another vendor does the mag and CDI...etc.

The "factory", is not really a "factory"...it's more of an assembly, packaging, operation where the owner/international business entrepreneur brings all of the components together in the 5th hour from whoever has sufficient stock. This is why the components will vary in appearance and quality from the same re-seller. Buy a kit from XYZ re-seller today...Buy another one from the same re-seller 4 months later...more than likely the two kits will be, in some way, different. The U.S. re-sellers of these kits have no control over "what" is actually in the kit. A U.S. engineering representative would have to be at the point of operation daily in order to ensure any sort of quality control for a given container load of export kits.

Using a variety of suppliers that specialize in different aspects of manufacturing is nothing new...Suppliers of end-user products have relied on small specialty shops for as long as consumer goods have been available.

The difference is that most manufaturers of end-user products have thier own in-house designers that provide detailed drawings to the businesses that offer speciaty parts. This way the product will always appear and function the same...no matter which vendor actually made the component.

The chinese are very capable of making quality products. Foolishly, the importers of these kits insist on making price the #1 criteria...undoubtedly based on percieved consumer demand. e-bay price wars come to mind.

For very few dollars more, per kit, the chinese could, and would certainly be willing to, clean things up 100%

Jim

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Jim,

Had just read the sticky regarding my question and was headed back here to edit my post. BTW, your explanation here was more clear.

Can I gather from what you are saying to just to buy a kit but expect to tear into the engine to improve it?

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.