58s Schwinn Wasp Build (My Dad's old bike)

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Coming along nicely! I'm glad you're leaving the fenders and rack alone. You never know... sometime in the future you may decide you want 26" wheels on it and use those 24's on something else. The stand should loosen up eventually. PB Blaster is better than WD-40 and last summer Fasteddy was using something by Seafoam from NAPA that was better yet. Can't wait to see the engine sitting in the frame... I imagine you can't either.

Save your dad's old wheels. Those are nice rims cleaned up and you can drill out the spoke holes for heavier spokes and lace in moped drum brake hubs. That's what I've done. You can also keep the Bendix rear coaster brake and lace the heavier spokes into it You have to drill the spoke holes out a bit for the thicker spokes. As coaster brakes go, the Bendix were well made. Your whole Wasp was well made.
SB

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Coming along nicely! I'm glad you're leaving the fenders and rack alone. You never know... sometime in the future you may decide you want 26" wheels on it and use those 24's on something else. The stand should loosen up eventually. PB Blaster is better than WD-40 and last summer Fasteddy was using something by Seafoam from NAPA that was better yet. Can't wait to see the engine sitting in the frame... I imagine you can't either.

Save your dad's old wheels. Those are nice rims cleaned up and you can drill out the spoke holes for heavier spokes and lace in moped drum brake hubs. That's what I've done. You can also keep the Bendix rear coaster brake and lace the heavier spokes into it You have to drill the spoke holes out a bit for the thicker spokes. As coaster brakes go, the Bendix were well made. Your whole Wasp was well made.
SB
Thanks for your comments...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Well drac, It depends on if you think you might have to EVER take it apart again. If you're real sure it never has to come apart for service, to get to another part, or for whatever reason, then I say weld the h*ll out of it.
fatdaddy.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you weld them it's a done deal. If you bolt them and use loc-tite you can always take them apart in the future if it is ever needed and never have to worry about then coming apart on their own.
Do you really foresee the need to take them apart in the future?
If yes, bolt them.
If no, weld them.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What gearnut said.
Just wanted to comment on your engine mount. Nice and simple, inexpensive and should be rock solid. What more could one ask for? Well done.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you weld them it's a done deal. If you bolt them and use loc-tite you can always take them apart in the future if it is ever needed and never have to worry about then coming apart on their own.
Do you really foresee the need to take them apart in the future?
If yes, bolt them.
If no, weld them.
Yes and should be bolted wth slots for ajustment one slot for side movment and the other way for forward and back movment. Looks awesome so far i like your carb adapter...........Shows you have been doing some thinking before hand..............Curt

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Yes and should be bolted wth slots for ajustment one slot for side movment and the other way for forward and back movment. Looks awesome so far i like your carb adapter...........Shows you have been doing some thinking before hand..............Curt
To be honest allot of it has been by the seat of my pants and what I've seen on here. hahaha

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
That's two in a row with the same answer, Looks like you have a dicision to make. Curtis has a point too. If you bolt it you can make adjustments on it later.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Your doing an excellent job I say for someone going from the seat of their pants. I have to say one thing that I like to stand by and thats to be slow and methodical and for the function of the end result. In other words thinking things through before making them final hence the welding or bolting/ no adjustment or adjustment possibilities. I do see that the tilting of your motor helps well to lubricate things while running. Just don't rush things, my favorite things are using cardboard, sharpies, and rulers/tape measures to get the visual down and get closer to the end result but if it's not going to work/function good a different approace can be possible.

Again excellent work keep up the good work.

P.S. I have a 53 Schwinn Typhoon all original and in great mint order 3.5hp Briggs project swirling always in my head.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Your doing an excellent job I say for someone going from the seat of their pants. I have to say one thing that I like to stand by and thats to be slow and methodical and for the function of the end result. In other words thinking things through before making them final hence the welding or bolting/ no adjustment or adjustment possibilities. I do see that the tilting of your motor helps well to lubricate things while running. Just don't rush things, my favorite things are using cardboard, sharpies, and rulers/tape measures to get the visual down and get closer to the end result but if it's not going to work/function good a different approace can be possible.

Again excellent work keep up the good work.

P.S. I have a 53 Schwinn Typhoon all original and in great mint order 3.5hp Briggs project swirling always in my head.
Here is the cardboard cutouts that I did before I made the engine mount. Makes it allot easier to see what your thinking of building and if it will work.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The mounts look great! The engine looks quite at home in the bike too.
I like your split tank. One side for a main fuel supply and the other side for a reserve.
Keep up the good work, I like where you are going with this build!