Predator/Schwinn build....Tigmaster....

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I used a 3/4" on mine, and i drilled it out to 7/8" to match the flange, after brazing. Was a galvenised one I had laying around. I soaked it in muriatic acid solution for a day or so to remove the plating first.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
I placed it at an angle so as to clear the bolts,but I was thinking about making a 1/2" plate with five holes,one in the middle of course for the port,two clearence holes counter sunk at the stock location,and two threaded holes to locate the thing I made, but turned to shoot straight back....I will have pics of that next,just have to fab it up...The one I used was a 3/4" street elbow in black iron,at ACO the galvinized ones were $.75 more!...the flange is cut from the stock muff and is tigwelded with a type of filler rod made for cast steel...TIP...If You need to remove any more galv.coating,I used muratic acid with good results....then after the acid bath,I pop it into a baking soda bath(two heaping table spoons) and water(about a quart),with a few drops of dishsoap as a surfactant..It kills the acids action....Well I was just playing around with this manifold to see what can be done.....If I find some tight radius bends in 7/8"to1" tubing I'll cut out some flanges from 3/16" or 1/4" plate and fiddle with that...I'm waiting for the "Quick Brick" to show up at the bike shop,may take the springer off and try out some mountianbike forks from the downer bike I picked up for the 24" wheels and three piece crank stuff....Tigmaster....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yeah about the muriatic soak, I forgot to mention that I soak the treated part in hosehold ammonia to neutralize the acid. I didn't know about the baking soda wash.

Yer doing a great job on this build, and it's documentation.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Everybody,I've been playin' "Hookie"....And They ain't nibblin'...So put away the fishing gear and toss the worms in the fridge..Got work to do,pics later....In honor Our Heros,standing and fallen....flg.....Have a safe Memorial Day....Tigmaster....

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hello folks, didn't get to the adapter plate for the headerpipe,did some other things I made up an adapter for the dellorto carb,this ones out of S.S. plate and tube tigged together the gasket was opened up to the size port in the head,the carb thats stock is very small!...Can't belive how small!...Just replacing the carb and better flowing ex. and this thing is gonna run good!.....also hacked out a jack shaft mount for the next build.....Its two lenghts of 1"x2" alum.billet with 1 3/8" hole bored for the snapring bearings,I have to bore the hole for the seat tube where it will clamp around and also be the rear engine mount...I went to H/F today and bought a electric cut off tool,had a coupon for $19 bucks!.......My air powered one runs My compresser ragged..also had one for a free multi tester...My fifth one..LOL.........Well its back to the saltmine in the A.M. so this ones off like a dirty shirt....Tigmaster....usflg

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That jack shaft/ engine mount is gonna be sweeet! You do really good work!
How well does the cut off tool work? I have been eyeballing them. Been thinking of having one for when I cannot drag my air compressor to a friend's house.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Thanks Guys,I'm having fun thats what counts!....Wayne I take pics of damn near everything, the bikes are just the current faze!...I made up a shaft adapter to put a clutch or gear/pully on a Kawasaki leaf blower engine...The clutch is bigger than the flywheel!....gonna fit it on a next bmx I have....I think they are called wasp bikes?!...heres some pics I'll have to start another thread on this build,but here's a preview....Tigmaster....

Attachments

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Gang,a little up-date..still waiting on the Quick Brick to show at the bike shop so I did a trim to My engine mount cut some off to clear chain to wheel more,cut some jack shaft material,gave the mount a new coat of paint...It looks like flat black,but its simi-gloss chassis paint....Its real humid out and it blushed I guess...tossed everything on and hung it from My bike lift(another fine H/F product!) adjusted things and put chains,clutch and driver sprocket on...I haven't drilled the ends for 3/8"-16 cap bolts to lock the sprockets to the shaft yet,and I'm gonna make another carb adapter thats curved to place the carb closer in and pointed to the rear..Got the cap screws for the ex. adapter plate today,more to come!.....I don't want to sound like a rep for H/F...But that cutoff tool work great!....now I need some junk to hack on!....Tigmaster....

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tigmaster, I sure do like your engine mount. At first I thought, "just two hose clamps to hold that end?" But once I gave it some thought I realized the mount (and engine) can't go anywhere. The attachment to the bike frame at each end is so simple it is elegant.

We need to figure out what that piece of channel or whatever you call it is. Wouldn't it be great if we could buy that stuff and knew where to find it? Looks to be just right for a four stroke engine.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Tigmaster, I sure do like your engine mount. At first I thought, "just two hose clamps to hold that end?" But once I gave it some thought I realized the mount (and engine) can't go anywhere. The attachment to the bike frame at each end is so simple it is elegant.

We need to figure out what that piece of channel or whatever you call it is. Wouldn't it be great if we could buy that stuff and knew where to find it? Looks to be just right for a four stroke engine.
SB
How about postt some measurements of that channal? I think one could go to a steel yard and get some..............Curt

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have some of Tig's metal. It measures 1.75"x4.75". I'm pretty sure this is the same stuff used as some of the framing members for metal building fabrication. Used as joists or purlins to support siding or roofing.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have some of Tig's metal. It measures 1.75"x4.75". I'm pretty sure this is the same stuff used as some of the framing members for metal building fabrication. Used as joists or purlins to support siding or roofing.
THANKS Wayne. What is the thickness? I will have to go shoping.........Curt