got my first chinese 50cc kit - need advice

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
is the choke supposed to be in the fully closed position during normal operation?

i took it for another ride and after warming it up a little and playing around with the choke and idle screw it idles a little while but still dies if i don't keep revving it a little bit. perhaps if i tighten the throttle until its open about 1/16 of the way at the fully closed position it'll take care of my dying while idling problem?

this thing is sooooo much fun tho, acceleration is really slow without pedaling, but at half throttle uphill it goes about as fast as i bike on level ground, pedaling vigorously, which is i find quite satisfactory.

this is my first motor vehicle btw

cflg
You actually pedal yours besides starting and when out of gas...? You have more motivation than I do...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
you move it up to get more fuel and move it down to get less fuel only move it one notch then test your bike at WOT for a minute or two then kill your motor let it cool then check your plug again.
Actually, that's backwards. Move the C clip down to richen the mixture, and up to lean it out.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
is the choke supposed to be in the fully closed position during normal operation?

The lever should be all the way down once warmed up.

i took it for another ride and after warming it up a little and playing around with the choke and idle screw it idles a little while but still dies if i don't keep revving it a little bit. perhaps if i tighten the throttle until its open about 1/16 of the way at the fully closed position it'll take care of my dying while idling problem?

Turn the screw clockwise a little more until it will idle. Remember, the engine is not broken in yet, and will not likely run perfectly until it is. The plug color is about right, don't change anything on your carb.

this thing is sooooo much fun tho, acceleration is really slow without pedaling, but at half throttle uphill it goes about as fast as i bike on level ground, pedaling vigorously, which is i find quite satisfactory.

this is my first motor vehicle btw

cflg

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
I've heard of people who adjusted the chain close enough using half links to do away with the tensioner. I am still looking for a good replacement. That part worries me to!

You should be able to find a pull start on ebay or from one of the dealers that advertise here. I've never seen a kick start for the Chinese engines.

The kill switch is a momentary closed type switch. You can either wire it between the two wires that run from the engine to the CDI or else from the white wire to ground. Usually it is best to attach it directly to the engine case for ground. Either way when you hit the switch it kills the spark.

Good Luck!
As for a kick start, you already have one. I think this has to be easier on your engine's mounting studs, chain, clutch and your legs from not peddling your butt off to start it. It also looks cooler as you start it. What you do is bring your crank arm on the left side (same side clutch handle is on) up to the 10 a clock position, release clutch, lift rear tire off the ground a few inchs by lifting bike by the back of the seat and kick start it , as soon as it starts disengage clutch and sit bike back on the the ground. Mine starts first time every time this way. dance1