My Momma Told Me To Ask

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Well, I now officially have the disease.

https://magwa.smugmug.com/Gasbike/

After building motorcycles (HD's and BMW's) and trucks (67-72 Chevys) for years, and then retiring, I found this Raleigh frame with a blown motor and a bunch of
what I thought were "useable" parts.

Hahahahaha! I think I was lucky to be able to use the frame.

Even with this recent build, since I've I retired, I have not even partially stretched my expertise from motorcycles and four-wheel door slammers to my new
love for motorized bicycles.

I want to keep my first "child". But I just freed up about a thousand bucks. So, I want to build another.

I'd like to ask you, the experts:

I have a few parts left over. But, basically, I want to start from scratch. This time, I'd like to buy a well-built bike with decent brakes and wheels, etc.
The bike I built is good and solid. But only because I chose all the parts as I built her.

I'd like to stick with a retro style and a four stroke. Maybe a fatter tired... and a little bigger bike... to accommodate my short and wide 5'-9", 250 lb stature.

I'm looking at the 212cc Predator...But only looking. I just don't know. I live in a pretty "hilly" area, but take the bike to the flat Central Coast of California
where the kids and grandkids live.

I geared this 49cc Husang (sp?) with a the 100 tooth belt-trans 7G, which has a 10 tooth output sprocket, a 415 chain, and I just changed to a 48 tooth MM
sprocket with hub adapter since the 40 tooth in the pics hated me on the back of the bike.

On the new one, I'd ideally like to have a bigger motor. And add a shift kit to something like a seven speed....like, maybe a Felt cruiser?

On the new one I'd really like to put just panniers on the rack, and take off for a day of riding...Coffee stops (had to swear off anything stronger back in 1981)
and, shame on me, a stop for a nice breakfast or lunch without being paranoid about, "how to get around that big old hill between me and the house".

So, with all that data, would anyone be so kind as to make any suggestion...Any at all?

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
magwa- That is a nice bike.
With your experience, and what you say you're interested in, you might take a look at Sportsman and get some ideas. There are many other member bikes here that will interest you as well.
Foundation- start with a solid frame. There is plenty of discussion here about what's good, use the search bar up top to get started on that.
I'm interested to see what you decide.

Good luck!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I really like the GT2A frame from gasbike.net. I believe right now it's$100 shipped. Unfortunately it's meant for a china 2 stroke, so no 212 predator. It is aluminum, so it's very light. Some nice suspension forks would comfort the ride a bit. With an engine that size, you'll need stopping power, so disc will be a must up front. I have experienced catastrophic failure with a rear rack and panniers. If you want panniers, make sure that what they bolt to is up to the task of holding them. No wobbling should ever be allowed on anything on a bike. That's how i lost my entire rack. It wobbled until it fatigued.

If you're planning on riding long distances, check the laws on what's legal to take on the street. Headlights, tail lights, brake lights, mirrors, etc.

Also, the gt2a frame has a 2 liter tank, and you'll get 40-50 miles between fill ups. Not a problem for me, but not so great for the long haul I guess.

You seem to know what you're doing. That first bike is a beaut! Love the clean truck as well. You have good taste :)