Aluminum vs Steel

GoldenMotor.com

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Sooo the steel rear wheel of my 49cc Chinese lady is noticeably untrue, the bike is a stock 26" Mens Huffy Superia. The roads in my area are rough, and the dirt road I live on is even rougher. It's been a long time since I trued a bike tire but I know how... my question is should I use this as an excuse to get a double walled alloy rim or should I try truing up the steel wheel first?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Truing is cheaper....but I like alloy better.
Either way, straight rims are a good thing.
Bent rims, not so much.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
True it first. If it won't stay true or you can't get it true, THEN buy a replacement wheel.

I've had my rear wheel only trued once out of the 400 some-odd hard miles I've put on it and it's been fine.

Come to think of it, I've only had my front wheel trued once as well. hehehe
The joys of HD cruiser wheels and a 180lb rider. :D

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
You said "double wall alloy rim". So you're considering replacing just the rim using the old spokes? Some people would say you shouldn't reuse spokes. I've done it a few times with no problems. Mostly with quality stainless (DT and Wheelsmith) spokes, but I've also reused fairly crappy carbon steel spokes - no problems yet.

Of course, to do a rear wheel you'll also need a tool to remove the sprocket, and a spoke wrench. Most importantly, if you're reusing spokes you need to get a new rim with the correct dimensions. The "effective rim diameter" (ERD) is what counts. Google it and you'll find plenty of sites that explain more than you ever wanted to know about lacing wheels.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
You said "double wall alloy rim". So you're considering replacing just the rim using the old spokes? Some people would say you shouldn't reuse spokes. I've done it a few times with no problems. Mostly with quality stainless (DT and Wheelsmith) spokes, but I've also reused fairly crappy carbon steel spokes - no problems yet.

Of course, to do a rear wheel you'll also need a tool to remove the sprocket, and a spoke wrench. Most importantly, if you're reusing spokes you need to get a new rim with the correct dimensions. The "effective rim diameter" (ERD) is what counts. Google it and you'll find plenty of sites that explain more than you ever wanted to know about lacing wheels.
Unfortunately the spokes busted under the pineapple gasket, so I'm definitely not reusing them. I'm just looking to get a pre built wheel, a spoke wrench and the proper tool to remove the gears. I have some old coaster break wheels that I can practice truing on, once I get the hang of it I'll true the new wheel.