Clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

Rysher

Jun 6, 2012
toronto, canada
Hey, im new to this whole Motorized Bicycle scene and i just build my first bike yesterday, im not sure the what motor model it is (bought it off kijiji) i cannot get the clutch to engage properly. its next to impossible to peddle, when i do force it really hard i can hear the motor starting to go and if i rev it sometimes the motor starts/tries to start and i can ride it but then i have no idle...every video tutorial ive seen people hold the clutch and peddle then release the clutch and the motor starts but mine doesnt have that easy peddle start i have to basically jump on the peddle and the motor kicks in. when i hold the clutch down or if i dont it acts the exact same... what am i doing wrong?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
your clutch is not adjusted properly.
there is an adjustment in the clutch housing,but the cable needs to be set up first.
i'm assuming the engine you have is a chinese ht or grubee skyhawk.
a small amount of freeplay is needed at the lever on the motor.
then the youtube video demonstrates how to set up the clutch inside the motor.
it would help to see how you have the cable arranged on the engine before we get too far.

Rysher

Jun 6, 2012
toronto, canada
your clutch is not adjusted properly.
there is an adjustment in the clutch housing,but the cable needs to be set up first.
i'm assuming the engine you have is a chinese ht or grubee skyhawk.
a small amount of freeplay is needed at the lever on the motor.
then the youtube video demonstrates how to set up the clutch inside the motor.
it would help to see how you have the cable arranged on the engine before we get too far.

im pretty sure its a china motor...i just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAp8h9WRXwI and my clutch arm isnt stiff like his...mine moves very freely, basically a full 180 degrees and never has any pressure

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We really need a photo but I'll try to explain a few things that might help without seeing what you're up against.

First you need to confirm that all the parts are in place. Removing the clutch actuator/sprocket cover you'll see a steel pin protruding from the center of the sprocket. That pin will slip easily out and behind it there should be a ball bearing. If those two parts are there they need to be lubricated with grease and reinstalled before putting the cover back on.

Second, the clutch will require much more force to disengage than most new builders expect. When the arm is pointing toward the rear of the bike it will take more than finger pressure to rotate it inward enough to disengage the clutch. When you connect the cable to that arm you don't want any slack in the cable. It shouldn't be bow string tight, just no slack. Adjust the cable adjuster on the handle bar lever all the way in then attach the cable to the engine using the cable stop. It should take about one to one and half inches of travel to disengage the clutch.
Give these things a try and get back to us with your results.

There's also the possibility that the clutch pads are stuck. If the above advice doesn't work we'll tell you how to free them.

Tom

Rysher

Jun 6, 2012
toronto, canada
We really need a photo but I'll try to explain a few things that might help without seeing what you're up against.

First you need to confirm that all the parts are in place. Removing the clutch actuator/sprocket cover you'll see a steel pin protruding from the center of the sprocket. That pin will slip easily out and behind it there should be a ball bearing. If those two parts are there they need to be lubricated with grease and reinstalled before putting the cover back on.

Second, the clutch will require much more force to disengage than most new builders expect. When the arm is pointing toward the rear of the bike it will take more than finger pressure to rotate it inward enough to disengage the clutch. When you connect the cable to that arm you don't want any slack in the cable. It shouldn't be bow string tight, just no slack. Adjust the cable adjuster on the handle bar lever all the way in then attach the cable to the engine using the cable stop. It should take about one to one and half inches of travel to disengage the clutch.
Give these things a try and get back to us with your results.

There's also the possibility that the clutch pads are stuck. If the above advice doesn't work we'll tell you how to free them.

Tom
Alright well i got it working after an hour or two, i took off the same part in the video and loosened up the flower nut, which was hard because they filed down the screw that holds the flower nut in place(had to dremel a flathead groove), took it all apart then the clutch finally started to have that resistance when you pull the clutch lever arm in. now im able to peddle and start the motor normally. maybe the flower nut was cranked on so hard that the clutch arm was missing that pin on the inside?..anyways thanks for the help 2door and tooljunkie

Last edited: