Motorized bike clutch slipping

GoldenMotor.com

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Hi I have a 2 week old engine and the engine squeals and makes a grinding noise whille going a little up hill. This happens in high rpm. When on a smooth flat surface, the bike runs great. Could this have been caused by clutch slippage. I'm just concerned because the engine is brand new and ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD.

Someone please help, I miss riding my bike
Thanks for the feedback

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't tell us what engine you have but we are assuming it is a Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame style with a manual clutch.
Noises are common and hard to diagnose from a description. If the clutch is slipping you should be able to feel it. The engine will increase in RPM but the bike doesn't move any faster. Starting would be a problem too if the clutch slips.

These little engines are famous for their sounds. Screeching is one but grinding could be a sign of something that needs attention.

Did you lubricate the gears on the right side and the clutch actuating parts on the left? The cam, bucking bar and ball bearing inside the left side sprocket cover (clutch actuator) need lubrication with a good grade of bearing grease. The gears too need grease but only a small dab smeared into the gear teeth. Too much grease and then your clutch will slip.

Hope this helps and...welcome to the forum. Glad you've joined us and hope we can help.

Tom

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Ya lol you guessed right, it is a Chinese 2 stroke engine. Ya I think the clutch is the problem because when I have full throttle, the bike revs but the bike doesn't move any faster. Do you think that the clutch is the problem keeping in mind that my engine is 2 weeks old. It starts up fine and rides great but when a couple of seconds pass and I'm going on a non flat surface, my bike revs but doesn't move any faster.

Thanks for the feedback Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like clutch, but most likely bad adjustment rather than a mechanical failure

read about adjusting cable & clutch

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Guys my clutch cable is stripped/ ripped at the adjustment knob. It makes a screech sound when I press the clutch handle. Also when I press the clutch handle, I noticed that the silver plate inside the clutch cover moves io ur on only one side, also the flower but is super tight.
Also Crassius I k ow u from the other forum lol.

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Ok but before that I think I need a new clutch cable, do you think a bicycle brake cable will work. Also my clutch pads have black dirt marks on them.

Thanks for the help

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Also do you guys know any way that I can take off my crubber clutch pads, they are super tight and they may rip if I pull with plyers.

Thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
don't worry about anything in the clutch - these rarely fail

you need a new cable & a brake cable will work if you know how to solder and cut it to length, otherwise get a real clutch cable

loosen your flower nut all the way out, and then start your cable/clutch adjustment process

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Ok thanks but what do you mean by soldering the cable, also do you think the flower nut or clutch cable is causing my clutch to slip.

Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ok thanks but what do you mean by soldering the cable, also do you think the flower nut or clutch cable is causing my clutch to slip.

Thanks
We answered this question above. The cable won't cause the clutch to slip unless it is adjusted too tight.

If you've been messing with the flower nut you'll have to start by reading the clutch adjustment instructions I posted for you. Click on that link and you'll find a very good tutorial on how to adjust the cable tension and then the flower nut.

As for using a bike brake cable for the clutch, yes, you can. As long as the barrel end fits your handlebar clutch lever. Get one long enough to reach. There shouldn't be any need to solder anything. The throttle cable does require soldering but the clutch cable doesn't unless you want to solder the engine end so the strands don't unravel.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the cable & flower nut work together to give proper clutch action - both need attention for it to work correctly (note also that the distance between locked & unlocked position of the clutch lever determines how much grab is available to the clutch)

if using a brake cable, it will be too long in most cases, cutting outer is easy, but cutting inner requires that cable have solder applied, then the cut is made in the center of the soldered area to prevent to cable from unraveling - this is much harder than just buying a new cable and leaving it uncut

Kash66

Aug 16, 2015
Scarborough
Ok I guess I'll just head out and buy a new clutch cable. Does anyone know the size of the cable.

Thanks

Last edited: