New owner need help

GoldenMotor.com

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and a new owner of motorized bike. The first time I put gas/oil in bike I was out riding so had to do it on the fly right in the tank and I had no problems. The 2nd time I had to do it that way, the oil bypassed the gas and went straight down the fuel line. I have drained it all out of fuel line and tank and remixed it up and put it back in, but the motor will not catch. Any suggestions?:-||

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
All that oil must have slimed your carburetor jet. Pop the carb off ( and remove the float bowl) and clean it with carb spray, change the fuel filter if you have one, and it should start. You might want to check the spark plug to make sure it's not oily, too.
All this may not be necessary but the fix is here somewhere. ;)

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I carry a small container of 2-stroke oil and a squeezy ketchup-container with an oil-level mark. When I fill up, I start with putting oil in the squeezy, and then shoot a few ounces of gasoline...swirl it around, dump it in the tank, then blast away from the pump into the tank. This works especially well in the Winter then the oil gets thick. I'd had problems in the past with unmixed oil globs getting not the carb. Like Slogger sez: you should clear out your carb (it's a good opportunity to familiarize yourself with it, as you should anyway), and check that your plug ain't oil-clogged. Although it's probably not the case, I WOULD verify that you still have a spark if you're having trouble starting after this foul-up.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Karen, I tried to write it all out, it is hard to do without making references only a mechanically inclined person would understand.
This is a toughy.
Anywho I found a vid where a guy is changing his jet. You don't need to change the jet but it will help you to watch this anyway, then come back and ask anything you don't understand and someone will be able to help you.

Watch this first-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wcs6D2baM

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Thanks, I think I get the gist. How do I check if spark plug is getting a spark? I know on a car, the spark plug has a little metal flap-like thing that has to be properly spaced, but I'm not seeing that.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
This would take a helper.
You connect your spark wire and hold the steel part of the spark plug against the engine, then you have to get the rear wheel up off the ground and turn the engine over by cranking the pedals.
A yellow spark should jump the gap in the electrode at the end of it. Keep it grounded to the engine or you might get shocked. Hold the plug by the rubber boot at the end of the spark wire. Be careful with it, but it won't kill you, it just hurts.
Hope this helps.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Slogger's right.

You CAN do it alone. It sounds like you removed the plug already and don't see the standard L-shaped prong at its end. I suspect you have a 3-pronged plug that comes with a lot of these kits. You should see a spark between a prong and the center of the plug (the little cylinder poking out near the prong(s). Once removed from the engine, reconnect it to the wire and lay it on top of the head so the plug's metallic threads are resting on the fins of the head. You might want to use a little tape to secure the plug to the head if it slides off, it's just important that the plug is resting against the engine as described, and that you have a clear view of the prong. Now all you have to do is roll your bike by walking it a few feet. Don't disengage the clutch; let the engine turn-over. It'll be easy since there won't be any compression when the plug's out. If Al's good, you should see sparks clacking in the gap while you walk. They may be too weak to see in sunlight, so do it somewhere where the light's dim.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Yes it has right hand tread patteren. So turn counter clockwise to loosen. When you put it back don't over tighten it. Hand thighten it till it bottoms out and you can't turn it anymore. Then with the wrench give it a quarter turn. You shouldn't be able to loosen it by hand then. This way you won't strip out the treads in the head.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
What Jerry said. Also, put a drop of oil on the threads before you put it back to make it easy to remove next time. The head is soft aluminum and can be stripped easily by the spark plug threads. Spin it in with your fingers, any resistance is a cross-thread, back off and try again.
Hope it starts up for you!

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I want to thank everyone for your feedback. I've learned a lot and am so HAPPY to be mobile again. A special thanks to Slogger whose suggestion of cleaning carb was the ultimate solution!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
You're welcome, Karen. It was no tribble atall. You already knew the oil was the problem, you just needed to know what to clean up. Glad to be of service.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
One thing I warn new riders about. Always be alert and be a defensive driver. Often 4 or more wheeled vehicle drivers think you're on a regular bicycle. They don't realize how fast you're going and pull out in front of you. So always be alert.

Get a bicycle computer so you'll have a speedometer
I prefer the wired ones over the wireless ones. Helps to avoid speeding tickets. Fully and completely obey all traffic laws. Stay off sidewalks they're for pedestrians. If you do that the police generally leave you alone in most places.

Since you're in Florida I suggest reading this.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55629

Last edited:

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
As far as Florida law goes, there is no way in **** I'm riding my bike on Blanding Blvd which is crazy heavy traffic and crazy drivers. I'll ride on other smaller roads, but on Blanding, I'm taking the sidewalk and I go no faster than I could pedal when I'm on it.