Hello, New Hobby or Headache?

GoldenMotor.com

LostHope

May 11, 2013
Earth
So far you guess...

Hello,

I just want to inform others briefly of why I joined this forum and how I came to be here today.

I have seen these bikes being made a several years back when gas prices was really taking off for the first time and I thought it was a neat idea. It is a better alternative to those goofy looking little mopeds they sell nowadays, but at that time even being thrifty doesn't cut it and it was not an option. Now a few weeks ago I came across them again and it really re-sparked my interest in them as a hobby. I used to ride Motocross in the past but finances ruined that hobby as well. So i thought this would be a fun little way to get back on two wheels again and have a 2-stroke to tinker with.

I spent a lot of the past couple of weeks on this forum and vendor websites sorting out this mess of Chinese motors, who makes them, what different parts are in which, what other people like, their experiences, who sells them, and how honest or better dishonest(More on this later) the vendors who sell these things are. I researched EVERYTHING first before making a purchase, but no research accounts for the thoughts of a human business man. And most of all which vendors isn't asking too much for the kit and even has one in stock to sell to begin with.

Now just so you know I didn't go into this from the start with high expectations and I new that dealing with these types of businesses(Chinese Importers) online is VERY risky indeed. All it takes is someone to not answer the phone or email and they have walked off with your hard earned $, and unfortunately it seems that this is almost ubiquitous.

Which brings me to this: I am not joining this forum today for help/tips for putting my just arrived this past Saturday Skyhawk GT5 SR together, but joining instead to tell others about my experiences so far on this adventure. I may add more to this or my story may be short and not so sweet, I guess we will all know come Monday.

[Update] - Well its Monday, and you guessed it there's more... I will make a thread once I find where I should out it.

PS - I will link to this or post, in my detailed one. After that I think my china girl adventure ended before it began.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
PS - I will link to this or post, in my detailed one. After that I think my china girl adventure ended before it began.
...without knowing any details about your situation i submit to you that even if the worse case scenario occurs and you were either intentionally stiffed or you just got unlucky and ended up with a lemon, you don't have to let that be the end for you and the many hours of potential fun you stand to enjoy.

i mean lets face it, we're talking less than $200.00 for the kit, $60.00 less if you bought one of the $139.00 e-bay kits.

now that you're here and communicating you can actually ask for advice on where to get a replacement motor that runs and they can be had for about $100.00, heck, you could even get a brand new 4stroke at Home Depot or Lowes for not much more than a hundred, better yet, Harbor Frieght.

...so don't give up man, these bikes are a real blast, ...just get back up on the horse bro or it'll be you who miss's out on all the fun.

peace, bozo

LostHope

May 11, 2013
Earth
Hey, Bozo.

Thanks for chiming in with some reason and encouragement. I couldn't help but smile when I read your name and saw that pic :)

I hear ya about not giving up so soon, and I agree with you. I did put a lot of time, thought, and research beforehand into this purchase and I just hoped against the odds it went smoothly the whole time. We are talking about just barley under $200 for my motor kit purchases I have been referring to and then the ~$200 for all the extras from other vendors, and I mean everything from a helmet to a spare spark plug anything to keep me from getting stuck somewhere broken down, and its all in the mail already so can't undo that.

But when I opened that box on Saturday and saw I got that I was sent a standard Grubee Skyhawk GT5 when I had paid $48.60 more for the Super Rat which is up for sale on the vendors site I purchased it from, which now I am learning has been off the market for some time. After all that I am left with a bad taste that I can't shake. The motor was the centerpiece of everything and the bad news really killed my ambition.

I have been requesting a refund for the price difference of the two models but the vendor wont have it. They say that I made the order knowing that I wasn't going to get the product shown on the page and I knew I was paying $48.60 more to get the same exact kit others paid $149 for. No luck, now its up to them and the bank to sort out.

BTW, I love that quote.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
you're welcome man, i'm still new at this whole thing myself and i went the more expensive route and had Pirate Cycles build my bike for me so i'm fortunate that i'm already riding.

...i'm also too new to know why the Super Rat would be superior to the standard china girl but my bike has a stock china girl on it and it runs like a champ, ...i only have 72 miles on it so i'm still breaking it in but i took it out yesterday and took her up to 33.86MPH, way faster than i'd expected!

...so regardless of how your dispute goes you can always make the best of what you have and just mount it up and go for a ride.

btw, i've read many posters advise a tear down and reassembly of the motor before installation to be sure the motor has been assembled properly, ...quality control isn't a high priority at these chinese factory's so it's probably best to not just trust that it was put together with any degree of care.

peace, bozo

oh yeah, l chose that name to keep me humble and i chose the quote to justify my life-long civil disobedience, lol.

...another btw too is that the more time you spend on this forum the faster you'll learn how to do all this stuff without help, precisely because there is so much help to be had here that it still boggles my mind! ...there are so many gifted builders sharing their work here that it's like, well, i for one am truly grateful to be able to lurk and study and learn at their feet, as it were.

...and i freekin' love riding my new bike!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've said it before, and I'll say it again now.
Paying more than $140 for a chinese ht kit is wasting money.
(Arrow and Dax not included)
I've bought ALL my kits from fleabay and have not had any bad experiences at all. The ONE time I got a kit with a bad coil, the vendor quickly replaced it free.
mingsinternational and zminglu are the same vendor (NOT BoyGoFast!) I have always used with great results.
Keep in mind, they never actually SEE the kit, they just drop ship. I think this vendor uses one of the better factories because my kits have all been good, and as long as you are polite and have a valid issue, he has very good customer service as well.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I got my Skyhawk kit through Pistonbikes. I may have paid a touch more for it, but the kit was exactly as advertised and arrived exactly when promised. Couldn't ask for anything more. I think that some of the bad experiences that some have are just 'luck of the draw'..........could've been anyone.

This build has been the funnest thing that I've done in a while --- well worth the time and effort! After a little more break in time, I'm anxious to try a bit longer jaunts from the house.

Good luck in your China Girl adventures!

LostHope

May 11, 2013
Earth
Thanks for the reply's guys. I guess you got to live before you can learn when it comes to some things. Oh, well. I just hope we can come to some kind of reasonable agreement. I was clearly on the bad side of a shady deal anyhow. I still have a box in my garage with a motor in it and as I said all my safety gear and little extras are on the way still.

Oh, and Bozo. Thanks for the tear-down tips, I have read that also. I used to rebuild my dirt bike top-ends so that was going to be part of the fun for me is to tear her down and clean er' up nice inside before assembly.

Maniac - I considered almost every vendor possible and I first was thinking I didn't wan't to go all out for sure but I also didn't want the apparent increased risk with the wallet friendly bay auction. Then near buying time I started reading about EPA and importers no following regulations and I was almost always direct to one site claiming to be the "only" legal importer. I went with them and was burned.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Well, that sucks. Yeah, you're out $50 bucks, but it could be worse. You could have been sent no engine at all. You might just end up having the credit card company to attack them or just eating it.

And to be honest, the only real differences between the SR and standard Skyhawks are the intake and the porting, they're bigger on the SR. But it's really not worth paying for, which unfortunately, you did, but didn't get.