Rally Car Construction.

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
This has nothing to do with motor bikes but I know the crew on here has lots of know-how and crazy experiences so I wanted to get some input from some body who may have done this already. Feel free to laugh at anytime.

My brother had one of his craziest ideas ever. I am surprised he thought of it before me. He was thinking we should build a rally car with the long term goal of competing in Dakar. I thought it was a great idea. We are thinking to use my old VW microbus. Trick it out a bit and push it past what it is realistically made for, kinda like we do with an old huffy and China Girl. I know that and old Type 2 Transporter is not the first choice for a rally car, but we have one and it is outlandish enough that for what we lack in skill and substance we could make up for in style.

Any ever build a rally car? And given that I can not find a single thing about a microbus rally car on the inter-web has it ever been done or is it even "legal" in the sport?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The only thing I could suggest, given the severity of the Dakar, is a VW/Porsche/Subaru powered desert racer with a "tribute" cab on it. Anything else would be an expensive hut withing a couple of days.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
That is what I am finding that the chasis is a popular starting point for desert racers, but I did want to keep the original "toaster" look, plus if we don't make it an open wheel vehicle we can get more use out of it doing tamer more local rally type stuff.

I was also intending on keeping the original engine block so that we might qualify for some very loose "stock" classifications for some races. Not sure though, we are still in the dream and research phase.