Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yup, can't have chain-tire hits unless you want hospital time.
LOL Yeah the back tire is taking a beating. I'm not gonna risk it anymore. I also have zero torque off the line. I also ordered a 62 tooth and will keep climbing in sprocket size until I can go uphill without having to pedal for dear life to make it up the hill. There are too just too many hills in West L.A..

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Awesome Mike!
Has anyone done a Hybrid MB with a high torque e-bike hub to get a 49cc rolling, then to open up the throttle on a 4 Stroke 49cc with a smaller rear sprocket? Both drive systems are moped legal and my bet is that they would work great together. Call me crazy. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Not crazy at all Mike. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...ab=0&gsc.q=Hybrid gas and electric&gsc.page=1

What I have been thinking is a starter motor from a car just to assist with off the line starts for stop lights.
Exactly! An electric hub is even easier. It simply looks like a normal bike hub on steroids. The only problem is there are 2 types of hubs, geared and direct drive. Both have there advantages and disadvantages but I don't know how either will or will not work with a gas engine bike.

I replaced 24x3 rear tire with a 24x2.125 and my chain rubbing issues are solved. Also switched my 56 tooth rear sprocket for a 68 tooth so I can climb hills. I snapped 2 bolts in half on my motor mount and the new mount comes tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be finished with the gas portion of my bike. I have run out of issues to deal with after 2 months. I never thought this day would come, but it finally has. LOL dance1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Not crazy at all Mike. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...ab=0&gsc.q=Hybrid gas and electric&gsc.page=1

What I have been thinking is a starter motor from a car just to assist with off the line starts for stop lights.
By installing a 24x2.125 tire I know have room for a Amp Controller to be mounted under the rear cargo leaving the topside of the rack fully functional. I intend to install a high torque direct drive electric hub to the rear wheel along with a 56 tooth sprocket and a thumb throttle. The electric setup will be almost invisible, with the exception of the amp controller, to the untrained eye and will only be used when I face a hill. Direct drive hubs also act like a giant dynamo and recharge the battery pack when the electric motor is not in use.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Direct drive hubs also act like a giant dynamo and recharge the battery pack when the electric motor is not in use."

That is cool. Will that create a lot of drag?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
"Direct drive hubs also act like a giant dynamo and recharge the battery pack when the electric motor is not in use."

That is cool. Will that create a lot of drag?
From what I've read, the drag all depends on the quality of the hub, I'm gonna use a Crystalyte H Series torque hub. Any drag would be pretty much imperceptible to a gasoline engine on flat terrain. The drag normally referenced in e-hubs is the drag a human would feel while pedaling.

I've seen Mad Max hybrid bikes and I've seen Jetsons hybrid bikes that look like they cost $10,000. I've never seen something in between the two though.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking forward to seeing your build Mike.

The hybrid concept has always fascinated me. Seems literally to be the best of both worlds.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Looking forward to seeing your build Mike.

The hybrid concept has always fascinated me. Seems literally to be the best of both worlds.
I agree and I would be happy with just my gas 49cc on flat terrain but parts of L.A. have some of the steepest streets in the nation. If I can install a motor that looks like an over-sized bike hub on my bike then I'm gonna do it. LOL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol. Well done.

That song would make a great pumping up a hill song. (For long hills, I really like "We will rock you")

Ride safe!