General Questions moving past a novice in hobby

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Answer only one question or answer only two or answer as many as ya like if you will......If you have an idea or suggestion and its only addresses one question below please have at it!

So after a few months of getting acquainted with my new hobby and getting a feel for the 66CC stock motor I have several general questions or ideas I would like to have input on if some of you guys don’t mind:

1.) I live on the Coast in Oregon it rarely gets over 70 here. The temperature ranges between 55 degrees and 65 degrees year round. Our humidity is always high and we are at sea level. I have been using a BP6HS NGK spark plug. Is there any advantage to going to a BP5 or BP7? If so why?

2.) Given that these kits vary so much that if someone built 5 of the same kits on the same bikes (stock assuming no air leaks) each would vary just a bit regarding Air/Fuel/Oil consumption and ratios. Is it safe to assume once you have a stock set up dialed in (within an acceptable working range) “as best as possible” that one could alter the oil/gas ratio to improve combustion processes? Or, in other words, can I use that idea of dialing in oil/gas ratio to optimize combustion?

3.) If the expansion mufflers work in producing more horse power why wouldn’t the booster bottles do the same thing assuming you could “dial” them in?

4.) Using the stock gaskets that come with the kit couldn’t you use copper gasket spray on all of them to improve the sealing ability and longevity?

5.) Is it wise to use sea foam to keep engine piston cleaner? Would it be ok to use low amounts regularly or better to just use quantity recommended to clean once and awhile?

6.) What is the top one, two, or three issues regarding safety when using the bike regularly that has come up for those who have owned these bikes/motors over long periods of time. I do not mean road safety (driving and traffic) I mean more in regard to mechanical or structural failures of bike/motor that could endanger safety.

7.) I have set one up already but dont want to miss something SO what tools/supplies for on the road repairs do you carry or recommend?

Thanks in advance….

Last edited:

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
1.) I live on the Coast in Oregon it rarely gets over 70 here. The temperature ranges between 55 degrees and 65 degrees year round. Our humidity is always high and we are at sea level. I have been using a BP6HS NGK spark plug. Is there any advantage to going to a BP5 or BP7? If so why? No the proper plug it the one that run hot enough to burn the deposits off but not cause preignition or detonation . You have to read the plug . The carburetor must be jetted right then set needle for low an mid . Do not drill jet buy the right one , by drilling there can as much as 10% off so don't know where your at . Dan

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
2.- Yes.
4.- Yes.
5.- If you use Seafoam, use it as recommended. Good stuff, Maynard!
6.- I would watch for the chain to come off via the "tensioner" going out of whack...that will ruin your day if it happens at any speed above a walk. Also, the only "failure" I've ever encountered was the frame breaking where the chainstays go into the main tube. (wasn't me, but a guy I was riding with.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Keep them coming folks PLEASE! Even if you duplicate information I absorb this info like a sponge! It may seem newbyish olr basic to you but it really helps and may help other newbies!!!

I just spent an hour reading about preignition or detonation thanks to FX-2.( but lol what part of the motor dont ping, clunck, whizzle, pop, kabam, zing) but I digress.

Thanks Bikeguy Joe!!!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
1.) I live on the Coast in Oregon it rarely gets over 70 here. The temperature ranges between 55 degrees and 65 degrees year round. Our humidity is always high and we are at sea level. I have been using a BP6HS NGK spark plug. Is there any advantage to going to a BP5 or BP7? If so why? No the proper plug it the one that run hot enough to burn the deposits off but not cause preignition or detonation . You have to read the plug . The carburetor must be jetted right then set needle for low an mid . Do not drill jet buy the right one , by drilling there can as much as 10% off so don't know where your at . Dan
Are you talking from experience or speculation.
I have soldered the jets on several of these, and many other engines. I don't understand what you mean by 10% off. I mean, If you can't drill a hole more accurate than that, you surely need to buy them.
I bought a set of bits that start out at.018 and increase in size by .003 consecutivly.
I solder up the jet with just a tad of solder. Then back drill it first with the largest bit that will take off no brass.
Then , on the first HT I did, I drilled it to .018 and tried it. Too lean. Drilled the next size, too lean again the 3rd size ect. until I got it in the range that I could fine tune mixture with the needle clip.
Way easier for me anyways, to solder them right now than source them and wait.

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Jets here we go . Back in 80's I ran stock cars one the local shops built carb. for nascar . With his help we would tune the holley ran . He manufactured his own jets and had a flow meter . With his flow meter you could see what happened if you drill out a jet . One case we open a jet bigger an it flowed much less . Jets are reamed for precision . When jetting a carb. I ball park the jets . On my motor I bought 5 jets 2 steps a part . Once I'm close I'll buy the one up and next one down . Hope this helps . Dan

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
probs ive had was with chain adjuster and sprocket adapter,didnt use lock tite on sprocket adapter bolts caused prob,and chain adjuster came loose and went into spokes. soulution use lock tite and keep eye on all hardware daily.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LocTite won't keep the tensioner from loosening and rotating into the spokes. That's a myth that will come back and bite you down the road. Find another way to secure the tensioner bracket to the chain stay or you'll be buying a new rear wheel and hoping your insurance is paid up.
Tom

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
For on road repairs I carry a (small wrench, allen wrench and socket set), crank puller, patch kit, needle nose pliers, multi tool, spare tube, master links, spark plug, batteries for my electrical systems and pump with a gauge. Its well worth the few extra pounds when a break down occurs.

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Thanks Jerry I was hoping someone would post a tool kit post. I wish everyone would :) Maybe start a whats in your tool kit thread ...

I see two things from your post I will be adding...I cant believe I didnt have a master link in my kit already duh...