Broken out of the box

GoldenMotor.com

Dave Strome

Dec 31, 2009
Maine
Just bought this motor, yeah an eBay buy, and I got what I paid for.

I had it running, but it was awful so I took it apart and this is what I found. The guy has a 7 day return policy, but I'm hoping he'll at least send me the replacement parts.

Question: How bad is this, ie, how irritated should I be? :) Any comments? I really don't know motors all that well...

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any comments!

Index of /bike2011

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
How bad is it.... Well in the grand scheme of things, it could be worse.
The cylinder jug isn't usable because the gasket sealing surface is so irregular that no gasket will seal around the stud, or the other side where it looks like someone beat it with a hammer. If it did seal, eventually you'll blow the metal gasket out.

I hope that's no indication of the quality of the rest of the engine's assembly.
I know these aren't high quality engines, but who ever put that together certainly knew that that part was defective from the start. God knows what's going on inside the cases.

Those surfaces must be machined perfectly flat in order to contain the compression of the engine, somewhere in the 135psi range I believe.

I'd be pretty upset and get a refund..

You can replace the jug pretty easily if all you can get is the part from the seller.
Just make sure you know how to properly put it on. Just ask if you you have to go that route.

You must have not run it much, it looks unused.

Get in contact with the seller immediately.
Hopefully they stand behind their product. Most guys here are apprehensive about E-bay sellers for your exact situation.

Hope things work out,
TiM

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Just bought this motor, yeah an eBay buy, and I got what I paid for.

I had it running, but it was awful so I took it apart and this is what I found. The guy has a 7 day return policy, but I'm hoping he'll at least send me the replacement parts.

Question: How bad is this, ie, how irritated should I be? :) Any comments? I really don't know motors all that well...

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any comments!

Index of /bike2011
Who did you buy it from?

Is the chrome in the bore damaged?

Just lap the barrel on a piece of flat plate glass
If you can remove enough material to get a flat surface you are all good

Probably want to do the same to the head too.
This is good to do to all new motors, you have to blueprint them.

Remove any rough chrome from around the ports in the bore as
they will scratch the piston.

Also break your motor in on 100 to 1 Opti 2 oil and you will have a
strong running and long lasting motor that doesn't belch smoke and drip oil

Please upload pics to the post
Click the "manage attachments" button below

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And why we suggest buying from a reputable seller. Who knows how many guys have started a motorbike project only to be turned off by the quality they get from flea-bay, fly-by-nighters. The Internet is full of crooks. Let The Buyer Beware!
Such a shame.
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I dont know about any of the other ebay sellers but personaly I have had good luck with the products that BGF sells and up to this point he has always answered my emails quickly and gave me great customer service, I may get the shaft the next time I deal with him but so far not a single complaint and I have 4 of the engines he sells pushing 900 miles on one and runs like new still on opti 2

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
if the uneven surface is the only defect it can definitely be fixed with a few files and some sand paper. pm me if interested and I will run you through the procedure.

only problem is this.... the crappy castings are probably indicative of the quality of the rest of the parts.

like I said... if you want, pm me and I will tell you how to fix your jug, it isnt hard but it's going to take some definite elbow grease.

Dave Strome

Dec 31, 2009
Maine
Who did you buy it from?
Is the chrome in the bore damaged?
It doesn't appear to be.. the only damage I've seen so far is what's shown in the pictures.

Please upload pics to the post
Click the "manage attachments" button below

Done.. I attached the best pic. Sorry, I cheated earlier by just posting the link.

It is repairable, but why should you? You paid for a new undamaged engine, and should expect that.

And that really is the point isn't it? And, exactly what I said to him.

Bought these from BGF... my second motor from him, along with some parts. Last year. Was pretty pleased up until now. I thought I was being EXTREMELY reasonable by saying "Hey, look at these pics! Just send me a replacement part and I'll be happy!" Frankly, I'm pretty PO'd at his responses. Oh well, what are you going to do? Here's what he told me:

Rick Shi <[email protected]> writes:
first I don't want to argue with the other people opinions.
different people has different thought.

my personal opinion, it will not effect any thing of the performance. tighten the 4 nuts on the engine head after run awhile. *and the aluminium gasket will seal the un-flat space. so it is the reason of the gasket and it is the reason using*aluminium not the steel gasket.
the piston up down in middle. the scratch place never effected.*
suggest u change the*aluminum*head gasket since u open the engine head, the old gasket can not use. *if u still worry, u can add 2 head gasket
feel free to email us

To which I told him that it DOES affect the performance, the motor ran for about 100' and then died with a popping sound. I only took it apart to see what was wrong with it because I knew he'd want "proof". He responded with:

Rick Shi <[email protected]> writes:
no problem if u want to exchange the cylinder.
but it is not*necessary.
we sold thousands of the engine, we know where the problem will effect the*performance.
thanks

So.. BoyGoFast, unfortunately in my opinion, is NOT a reputable seller. I advise anyone to stay away from him.

Thanks!

Dave

Attachments

Dave Strome

Dec 31, 2009
Maine
I dont know about any of the other ebay sellers but personaly I have had good luck with the products that BGF sells and up to this point he has always answered my emails quickly and gave me great customer service, I may get the shaft the next time I deal with him but so far not a single complaint and I have 4 of the engines he sells pushing 900 miles on one and runs like new still on opti 2

I've heard mixed results about BGF. In this case, he's being an unreasonable jerk and does not seem to be interested in customer service.

And in case anyone is wondering, I was VERY nice and reasonable about it. I didn't send him a scathing "YOU SOB!!!" email or anything like that. Just sent him a link to the pictures and said "I know it's been past 7 days and you're under no obligation to help me, but look at these pics! Can you send me a replacement part?"

windsors03cobra

Mar 12, 2011
Racine
I bought from his competition on there and dont know if they are any better but what a crappy response from that dunce.

I guess low rent engine=low rent seller ?

I am glad mine ran good from the start I sealed the carb to the intake and I never even had to fiddle with the carb to make it run better.
Clutch pucks suck I will be McMaster-Carr'ing those.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
$25 barrel, $8 jb weld $10 base and head gasket, hours work and maybe it will be...ok. $99 motor from someone elts. you know they change their tune face to face to bad your not in L.A. but he dont sell to ca. oh and aint no low rent in so cal, just low payed s.o.b.'s [south of border's]

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dang man that does suck..........!

His response was horrible........if that guy ever done me that way I would be as hacked off as you are, this really makes me rethink ever buying another kit from him, I may still pick up a few parts if need be from time to time because he offers some pretty good deals on a few things but to be real honest maybe he doesn't realize we do things different in America than they do in China or where ever he's from, If he really believes what he said about those gasket surfaces not affecting performance in any way, I'd say he doesnt have a freaking clue how an engine works, I mean...... he even made a comment about the piston working in the middle of the cylinder..........I am like what............! tha!

I have never gotten a response like that from him, but then again I've never had an issue with anything he sold me either, I say just order a new jug and be done with it, unless he wil send you one inspite of his ignorance on the matter.

Good luck man, I hope you get it worked out.

Peace, Shan

I've heard mixed results about BGF. In this case, he's being an unreasonable jerk and does not seem to be interested in customer service.

And in case anyone is wondering, I was VERY nice and reasonable about it. I didn't send him a scathing "YOU SOB!!!" email or anything like that. Just sent him a link to the pictures and said "I know it's been past 7 days and you're under no obligation to help me, but look at these pics! Can you send me a replacement part?"

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
If he wont give you a new one sand it down fill the hole with jb weld put on a new gasket and ride it like you stole it. Have fun if you can. Good luck.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
But didn't BGF say in an email
"no problem if u want to exchange the cylinder." ?

Looks to me like he kinda wants to work things out with you, not really being an unreasonable jerk?

Dave Strome

Dec 31, 2009
Maine
But didn't BGF say in an email
"no problem if u want to exchange the cylinder." ?

Looks to me like he kinda wants to work things out with you, not really being an unreasonable jerk?

Perhaps.. but I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, the damage was already done at that point. I told him that I'd prefer to purchase the part from another vendor rather than pay to ship it back to him.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
maybe a paypal charge back? the only thing is that it's out of his warranty period and more importantly you ran it, i know it was only like 100 feet but who's to say you didnt cause the damage (not saying you did but thats possibly how BGF will explain it to paypal and paypal may agree).

give it a try, you do have a reason to be upset so i don't think having paypal investigate will effect your account. you'll have to ship the whole motor back to bgf, but he'd lose the sale.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I would just get a new jug and be done with it if it were me.

All of these engines have a few flaws, you just got one that had one in a bad area, that jug is really a cheap part and even after buying another one you still have a very inexpensive engine.

Here are some links for the jug.

Cylinder Body 66/80cc $19.99

Bike Motor Cylinder Body - 49cc Parts - Motorized Bike Cylinder Body - 49cc Parts - Bike Motor Cylinder Body - 49cc Parts - Motorized Bike Parts $22.00

Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts $25.00

If you get a new jug/cylinder i'd also replace the rings that way it can all start new and seat properly.

Just what I would do and my opinion nothing more nothing less.

Good luck and sorry to hear you've had this issue with BGF, he's always worked good with me, but then again I've never had an engine from him with any problems like yours either.

As many of these things as he sells you'd think he would just happily send you a new jug and a set of rings and appoligize for your trouble and make it right.

Why is it that some of these sellers out here don't realize that all they have to do is treat people right and it's a win - win for both parties in the long run?

Peace