sprocketless design

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
On topic, I think a shaft drive bike with a shift kit from SBP would be real nice. I've no clue how one would attach a chain-ring to the shaft at the cranks but it is a lovely idea.

Tipsy and Al, that was an awesome trilogy! The movies sucked compared to the books :D

There were more than just three books in that series and the rest were just as good as the first three.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
There were more than just three books in that series and the rest were just as good as the first three.
Whoa! There's more than the original three? ^_^

@Tipsy -Too bad it's taken everyone a hundred years to get back up to speed :)

There's gotta be a way to hook up a Jack-Shaft to a Shaft-Drive, where's Jim? :D

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Killer, your right about the 100 years. but the shaft system is still very problematic, a lot harder to work on compared to a chain drive What I like about the Lloyd's was its a hollow shaft with gears on each side and a bearing housed in each end. This made it light with less drag. I'd be more interested in seeing a design that hooked up to the pedal crank on the left side, thus driving the right side shaft. Everything would have to be beefed up. I could see the roller teeth shearing off at high speed or torque applications. Its a different kind of metal on metal grinding compared to a chain sprocket. Still the application is doable if someone had the time, money and skill. I just might have to dig out the old bike next time I make a trip home. If the pedal shaft could be extended then I could slap a G4 pulley(100/80T) on the left side and put the clutch bell drum assembly in line to run a belt between the two. The problems would be free wheeling the pedals, and modifying a bike to fit the shaft/gear housing on the right side. Kind of hard to picture it without the actual drive in my lap. I'm only going by my memory and the pictures I dug up. You would have to lengthen the pedal shaft anyway for a 4-stroke. Way too much manufacturing/money for me to bite at this moment.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
wait, here's a friction drive:
How does that run in the rain and mud, or light gravel? :pP

Sorry I was just drooling over 1915 pedal starts, in our vid section.

A 1900's shaft-drive would be uber-cool Tipsy *drools

Let us know when you get your hands on that :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
Thanks to you and all of the mods here we have a great site and don't have to wade through mindless spam.
The Dune books were really good. Anybody who hasn't read them... wait until snow time when you can't ride anyway since its like chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven... have one and you want another.
Now I want a cookie and a glass of milk for breakfast. But I don't have any cookies and no milk, either. And I already read all the Dune books. And where is the dude who started this thread anyway? This day is not starting off real well. Where's that other spam guy with the eggs? I'm still waiting...
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
They were prolly a spammer as they've not seen fit to return or try and repost - yet even inadvertently they managed to get a good topic rollin' about both books and bikes lol :D

Weird how that happens from time to time, while I'll not thank the spammers - ya gotta respect the interest & diversity our members provide, turning even a useless, blocked post into a fascinating topic & a valid thread (^)

Tho I will say that normally, responding to a known spammer is an exercise in futility, aside from perhaps a momentary chuckle as we'll ban the poster & delete the thread as a matter of course... Tom's restraint is an admirable example of "benefit of the doubt" in this particular case.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hoo'Ra! This did indeed turn into an interesting thread! Who'da thunk it?

So we all learned Tipsy does need to keep us posted on that 1899 shaft drive :) He should start another Thread for that, eh?

And we all should catch up on our Frank Herbert reading...

Time to put on the Jammies and call it a night. (er morning, I'm a slacker on holiday)

Have a good one, everyone!

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Sit here for several hours and spend your time banning people that register here, don't have the initiative or courtesy to introduce themselves but try to post links on their first thread and you'd loose patients too. It's like being in a room full of like minded people and some dude walks in, doesn't bother to introduce himself but starts handing out business cards aimed at his agenda. That's how I view someone who can't even give his location other than a arcane entry like, 'earth'. I have little tolerance for them and want to ban them on principle only. It's disrespectful and rude. Sorry; I'm just a little burnt today.
Tom
I always wonder too Tom why people can't say a little about themselves & where they're from. Sometimes knowing someone's location helps us give advice they ask for like bike suppliers near them.
Jay

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
... a not unwarranted interweb paranoia, generally speaking it's but a healthy practice to give out as little personal information as possible (our aliases/usernames would be a prime example). While things like general location is easily determined by anyone interested and in fact is harmless, even helpful data in our case - it simply becomes a habit to not volunteer such when signing up to a new, unexplored place.

Heck - when I first joined I didn't fill out my profile at all beyond "otherwhere" as my location lol, it was only later when I became comfortable (and requested to) did I put Maine as my home.

It's more the inappropriate self promotion that I think Tom has a problem with, the lack of background info simply compounds it *shrug*

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
... a not unwarranted interweb paranoia, generally speaking it's but a healthy practice to give out as little personal information as possible (our aliases/usernames would be a prime example). While things like general location is easily determined by anyone interested and in fact is harmless, even helpful data in our case - it simply becomes a habit to not volunteer such when signing up to a new, unexplored place.

Heck - when I first joined I didn't fill out my profile at all beyond "otherwhere" as my location lol, it was only later when I became comfortable (and requested to) did I put Maine as my home.

It's more the inappropriate self promotion that I think Tom has a problem with, the lack of background info simply compounds it *shrug*
Another amazing coincidence! First the OP is from the same planet and now I learn you come from Otherwhere. Man, I was born in Otherwhere and dawdled away my youth there. We may have passed each other on the same street (Main street) or gone to the same cinema (Movie Show), had a burger in the same dive (McDonalds). Boy, does this bring back the memories (Memory Lane). Later on I moved to Someplacelse, but it was never the same. Sure miss home.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
:(

Sorry to misrepresent silverbear - but I'm usually from 'nunyabidness', but as we've a member with that name I thought there might be some unusual if not downright disturbing connotations o_O

:p

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
:(

Sorry to misrepresent silverbear - but I'm usually from 'nunyabidness', but as we've a member with that name I thought there might be some unusual if not downright disturbing connotations o_O

:p
Thats OK. I saw Nunyabidness on the map, but never went there. Nice town to move away from I imagine. Most are.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
HEY! It's the town I was born 'n raised in! I think it's a nice town. ;-)
I'm sure it's a different town altogether since your hometown is NunyaBidness and the one I was referring to was Nunyabidness. And if by chance it is the same place then I apologize profusely, backwards forwards and sideways, too. Did you live near the bidness district? Just wondering. I'm a forest person, so all towns are good to move away from. Even the good ones.
SB

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
While I do love the great outdoors with all its mountains and forests, the convenience of having everything within a few blocks is needed at this time. In the future, hopefully not too far into it, I will move to the Ozark mountains in north central Ark. My grandfather has property on Bull Shoals Lake. His house is the last house on a gravel (read Ark. boulder strewn) road before the lake. His nearest neighbor is almost 2 miles away.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
While I do love the great outdoors with all its mountains and forests, the convenience of having everything within a few blocks is needed at this time. In the future, hopefully not too far into it, I will move to the Ozark mountains in north central Ark. My grandfather has property on Bull Shoals Lake. His house is the last house on a gravel (read Ark. boulder strewn) road before the lake. His nearest neighbor is almost 2 miles away.
Sounds like my kind of country. The nearest city of any real size to me is Duluth, a hundred miles away, so I don't go often. If it weren't for the internet and being able to find and buy things online it would be an even greater inconvenience living in the forest. Last evening I watched the sun go down from the middle of Eagles Nest Lake. My neighbor and I were fishing for Walleyes. Didn't catch anything worth keeping, but it is always good being on the water, seeing the painted sky at sunset, watching the migrating ducks come in for landings. I never tire of it and always feel deeply privileged to live in a place with such beauty around me. It is fall here now with the first leaves of paper birch and red maple falling to earth. Temps in the 30's each morning and a fire in the wood stove is just the way I like it. I hope you can go to your Grandfather's place sooner rather than later.
SB