First bike Done....

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Here she is, Phat Cycles Skullz cruiser......

Got a question, I am running it on quick 5 minute runs and letting it cool for break in and today I changed the carb pin from middle to 2nd from the top and after a five minute run I had gas leaking out of the air filter. What do I do?

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Sounds like dirt in the float needle valve or poss.a leaking float that closes the needle valve (filling w/fuel and sinking)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep what corgi1 said, a little piece of thrash in the carb, finally gets between the needle and seat and bam your flooding fuel all over the place, pull your carb off take out those 2screws and gently remove the float bowl, set the float aside and spray the carb out really good with carb or brake cleaner either one will work or even WD-40 just something to blast it out real good, and be sure that your inline filter has a fiber-paper type filter in it and it's not the lawnmower type that just has a screen, they will not keep the small particles out of the carb. been there done that. Good luck and happy safe riding on your very nicely done bike, great job.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It could be crud... but it could be simply the float tabs needing a touch of adjustment, I'd bet tabs *shrug* if cleaning it doesn't help, try this...

To adjust the float tabs ya jus' gotta bend them down a tiny bit (like 1/32" or so and that'd be "up" if the carby is upside down 'cause yer workin' on it lol) - bend them too much and it'll cut off the flow too soon and it'll starve out at WOT/max RPM, not enough and it'll puke fuel out of the filter and into the intake & flood. To get 'em perfect may take a bit of patience & more than one attempt - but it's not hard :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Thanks guys, I will get on that this afternoon. Pretty sure it is just crud, I have the screen style motorcycle filter (changing it today) And there is a 3 or 4 pieces of black tank paint in it now even after I cleaned the tank twice before starting. The first 4 or 5 rides it was fine and then now it leaked. I imagine a piece got in there.

One more thing, is the way my motor angle is mounted a problem? It is almost flat across and the carb leans slightly back. I see most mounted with the nose end way down and the rear of the motor up much higher in the back.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Naw - looks level 'nuff to me, but if it isn't - it'd be the same fuel starvation symptoms I described above & the float tab adjustment outa fix it right up... won't fix crud tho - sorry 'bout that heh :p

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Looks good beej, All that time thinking things through paid off. I am not sure if its just me but just before i shut off my engine, after a ride, if I dont shut off the fuel and let the bike idle until the rpms start to rise, then hit the kill switch, my carb will leak a little bit through the air filter. But doing this keeps the fuel level low while not in operation. never leaks while riding. But I am almost certain its time to clean my carb. We are coming up with another group ride here San Diego, hope you can bring out your new ride, maybe in about 3 weeks. I will keep you posted.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Badbooh, definitely let me know about that ride that would be a blast. I am getting married in a month and a half so if my schedule lets me I would join you guys.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Thank you sir, hopefully I get all the little bugs worked out and this beast broken in soon. So far it is insane fun just cruising the neighborhood. Last thing I need is a mirror and I should be all "legal".

birdman

Jun 13, 2010
San Diego
The Black Barron!!! keep on troubleshootin' Bryan...then GET BACK TO WORK!!! The Flyin' Tiger needs work....haha

I will be there to keep yer pint glass full ;) .we.