Im confused about all the chain tensioner problems

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I have been riding these bikes for 4 years now and have never had a problem with the chain tensioners that come with the kits(other than the roller wearing out after a ton of miles)....What are the problems alot of you guys are having with them??????????Show pics of your modifications and why you had to do it....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - the dreaded "tensioner" is a potential threat if not installed correctly or maintained, I suspect ya did both ;)

It could dive into the spokes and destroy the wheel which I'm sure you've figured out by lookin' at it - it's a shame really cause it would be a simple matter to supply one that spans both bars.

The concern is for the many first-time builders that may foolishly think that all of the parts in the box will do the job they're supposed to do if they just bolt 'em on lol It's also about the only part that so easily endangers the whole build and the rider for the sake of tightening a bolt o_O

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
lol - the dreaded "tensioner" is a potential threat if not installed correctly or maintained, I suspect ya did both ;)

It could dive into the spokes and destroy the wheel which I'm sure you've figured out by lookin' at it - it's a shame really cause it would be a simple matter to supply one that spans both bars.

The concern is for the many first-time builders that may foolishly think that all of the parts in the box will do the job they're supposed to do if they just bolt 'em on lol It's also about the only part that so easily endangers the whole build and the rider for the sake of tightening a bolt o_O

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html
Been there, done that. It ripped about 5 spokes out of my rim, and it sheared off the bolt that holds my brake arm to the frame. My fix was to take out an extra link from the motor chain.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Problemo Fall from what I read is the tensioner twisting inward from the pressure applied from the chain riding on it. Some folks drill a hole into the frame and insert a screw to fix that or others have it extremely tight in order to prevent that. Whats your secret? To me the mounts that bolts to both chain stays is the right solution or to fix the chain to proper length.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Problemo Fall from what I read is the tensioner twisting inward from the pressure applied from the chain riding on it. Some folks drill a hole into the frame and insert a screw to fix that or others have it extremely tight in order to prevent that. Whats your secret? To me the mounts that bolts to both chain stays is the right solution or to fix the chain to proper length.
My secret is I do the same thing BikeguyJoe does,tweek it to make it just right and tighten the bolts real good....Heck I dont even use electrical tape or anything like that wraped around the frame....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
chain tensioner. the thread that never dies...
Hahahahaha,,, Bairdco is right. I'll bet if we went back and searched every post that has ever been made here that we'd find more about this provocative subject than any other. The topic comes up day after day, week after week. The pros and cons seem limitless and opinions abound as to use a tensioner or not and if so why and how. Actaully it has promoted some very innovative designs and isn't that what we like to see?
Thanks to all of you for your constant input, ideas and opinions. The wider the knowledge base, the better we can promote this hobby. Keep those cards and letters coming. oooops, guess that's an obsolete axiom. But then, so am I :)
Tom

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I would like it a bunch if I could eliminate the tensioner however there is no way my chain will stay on without it Could be becuase I wanted to see how tuff the bike really is after being totally frustrated with a sticky gear cluster, so I checked to see how far it could fly.. I probably caused some wierd twisting damage to the frame. Gotta give myself a little credit as it did take about 6 months of frustration before figuring out what was wrong.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I always recommend that you tighten the motor chain so that he wheel will adjust it and use the tensioner on the pedal side of the bike. That was you don't have the pressure on the chain and the tensioner will work just fine. You have to remove links from the chain anyway, so just remove enough to use the drop outs to tighten the chain.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I always recommend that you tighten the motor chain so that he wheel will adjust it and use the tensioner on the pedal side of the bike. That was you don't have the pressure on the chain and the tensioner will work just fine. You have to remove links from the chain anyway, so just remove enough to use the drop outs to tighten the chain.

and yes I bought a wheel as well...

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I changed out the stock bolts on the chain tenisoner with some grade 5 bolts,they work great keeping the chain tenisoner from moving at all :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would like it a bunch if I could eliminate the tensioner however there is no way my chain will stay on without it Could be becuase I wanted to see how tuff the bike really is after being totally frustrated with a sticky gear cluster, so I checked to see how far it could fly.. I probably caused some wierd twisting damage to the frame. Gotta give myself a little credit as it did take about 6 months of frustration before figuring out what was wrong.
LOL, I have "flight tested" PCs, MBs and all sorts of stuff. Almost always fails but feels so good. (Remember to open windows b4 FTing!)

I only use a tensioner until the chain is stretched out. Lost my first MB to it sliding into the spokes. I figure it is one less thing that can go wrong. A lot of folks (Great and good MB builders whom I greatly respect and listen to) say this is a bad idea but I have thousands of miles with out em and no problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A Few Things I've 'Flight Tested'
VCR
Toaster
Electric Can Opener
Ink Jet Printer
Various & Assorted Tools
1 Ex Girl Friend (Not really, but I wanted to)
The problem is I always had to go out and pick up the pieces afterward. (except for the girlfriend. She went away on her own)
Sorry; Off Topic, but you all already know my opinions on tensioners.
Tom