Tips on performance mods

GoldenMotor.com

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
Is there any reason I can't use a chain tool to push the pin back into the link and just remove the master chain link?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i remove my master link many times to take chain off and adjust it them put it back on and all is fine. since i move my engine from my mountain bike to a cruiser bike i needed to add a piece of extra chain to my chain to make it longer and i end up using 2 master links on my chain and one master link was reused from lastime and the second one was unused. it runs fine and still stays on.

i dont see why you cant put the pin back in and just remove the master link,im sure it will work.

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Manic Mechanic has some realy nise sprockets, and hub adapters. Use his and you are putting power to the wheel hub not the spokes. Like 30$ for both. Highly Recommend it.

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
I have a stock BGF 80cc (66.6cc or whatever) I am looking at getting a 36T sprocket and adding an LED 7.5v headlight to my white wire. I am Currently getting 20mph at WOT with the stock 44T sprocket. What do you guys think my speed improvement will be? Would I be better off go to the #76 jet on my carb?
Adding a headlight powered from the engines electrical seems like a cool idea but how much excess electrical power does the little china girl put out? I would be worried it will reduce performance of the plug. Please update us if you have done this with no loss in performance. I'm very interested in this too.

Last edited:

mchersh

May 13, 2009
NE
Is there any reason I can't use a chain tool to push the pin back into the link and just remove the master chain link?
No. I don't run a masterlink. A good way to put the chain back together is with a pair of vise grips and a small washer. just put the open part of the washer where the pin comes out and squeeze..shft.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
hey - cabinfever - maaan - i would not feel right with myself without urging you to get rid of chain 'master links'.

they have never had a good reputation & the consequences of failure are too great

please - get a chainbreaker tool & get rid of the "master" link- it's the only safe way on these bikes.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Installed my 36 tooth sprocket today.........WOW, what a difference! Much smoother running. I still pedal to start off and I only gained about 2-3mph but the engine sounds so much better. It doesn't sound like it's about to FRAG at any second. It's hard to tell but I run about 1/2-3/4 throttle and that gives me 25mph. Worth every penny.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Yep the 36t is the way to go. Much smoother running and a little more in the top end, but you done need to ring its neck at a cruze speed.
As for the chains. I run a BMX chain. That thing that comes with the motor is from a long wall mining machine, I'm sure.

Steve