6 Volt Light Question...

GoldenMotor.com

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
In my China Kit, I have a White wire that's supposed to supply 6 volts for lights. I have a few questions about this, cause mine doesn't seem to be working right.... if at all.

First off, how much Amps or Watts are provided by this 6v lead? I'd like to add 2 headlights, 2 tail lights, at least one Brake Light and hopefully some Turn Signals too. This is probably too much for that lead to provide, right?

Would it help if I added a small Motorcycle Battery as well? The Battery could power the lights when Idled down, and take up the slack from the weaker generator built in. I think. But again, does that 6v lead give enough power to recharge a battery? Or should I just count on needing to recharge that after every other Ride or so?

Second Question. My Neighbor buddy got some lights that run off the older Generator sets from years ago that is powered off the front wheel. He hooked them up to the white wire, and they work A-OK. I bought a Tractor Implement 6v light to connect to that lead, and it don't work at all. In fact, it's basically a Dead Short when hooked up and I have no Ignition for the engine either.

The Tractor light is a 30 Watt lamp. At this point, I'm thinking that the lead will not give enough power to run a 30 watt light.

I tried taking a Voltage test of that white wire, and get Nothing on the DC setting of the multi meter. When I switched the meter to read AC volts, I got 6 to 9 on the meter. What???

Now I am thoroughly Stumped!!! What am I missing here on this?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the white wire puts out around 6volts 3watts 0.5amps
thats maybe good for 1 small light.(maybe a couple leds)

cheap batterys$18,cheap charger$20 and very cheap lights$6: walmart
i use a 18v rechargable cordless power tool battery to power 12v car dual clearance light and 12v car red tailight,hooked up in series=24v with fuse and switch.lasts for many hours,weighs 1 pound,recharges in 1 hour,can use any car or trailer lights found anywhere.if you use small lights you can hook up many lights.
or you can use electric bike battery packs,but they are a lot heaver(25lbs).

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if youre burning bulbs because the voltage goes between 6-9volts:
Modern halogen lamps have a Zener diode voltage limiter built into
them

headlight 6 volt, 2.4 watt bulb and 6 volt .6 watt tail light bulb

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you could check out one of my lights. in the swap and shop
You won't be able to run much on the white wire 1 headlight and 1 taillight.
The voltage is ac and the voltage goes all over the place. Some bulbs will work for a while until they take a spike of voltage/amps/watts or what ever then burn out. I know I have a box full of failures. I have bulbs that will work and not burn out.
These are first a bicycle, engine assisted and not a motorcycle or moped and if you assemble and maintain your bike it will last, get you home every time even when you run it out of gas.
I have also found that some bikes mag coil are not up to the task of running lights very well most will.
The people making the mag coil windings sometimes cut corners. they skip on the amount of turns to make it work good.
Norman

Last edited:

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Cabin, I'm not burning any lights out, the Tractor Light just won't come on. Being a 30 watt bulb, I thought it was too much. You confirmed that with your first reply. You also confirm to me that a battery is a good addition. I was thinking about a small Motorcycle 6v battery, like the one I had on a Suzuki 400 years ago. Maybe the coil wire (white lead) would do Something to keep a charge up on that, but if not than a regular charger should do the trick, huh? Otherwise, I like the idea of just going up to 12v lighting. I have had a HECK of time finding any 6v bulbs anywhere... even at the farm supply stores! I should be able to find a Motorcycle 12v battery that weighs in at a lot less than 25 lbs.

Norman, Thanks for the confirmation regarding AC voltage. I thought I was loosing my mind when I first saw the readings I got. No I know I was right after all.

Question I left out of the first post I had. What Lights to get? Especially true now, seeing that the lead gives out 6v AC. Hmm. Do DC lights even work on AC? (IF I can find any 6v bulbs, that is) I guess a simple lamp can work both ways as long as the voltage and wattage are correct. This again proves that 30 watt tractor lamp useless in my case.

Another question now, assuming AC power coming from that white wire lead. If it's an AC power source, is the ground (as said in DC) or the Neutral (as stated in AC) wired the same way on these bikes? In other words, can I use the frame as the Ground/Neutral?

Also, can an AC power source work as a charger for a DC battery? It should seem to me that I'll need a converter in this somewhere along the line. I think I'm coming closer to understanding what I need to do.... but will confess that I ain't there yet. Thanks for the replies so far, but I think I need some more Teaching here from y'all.

Norman, can you give a link to one of your lights? I'm new here, and am not aware of the Swap and Shop that you mentioned. Thanks. And I know it's just a Bicycle, but I'm doing my darnedest to make as much of a Motorcycle as I can. I gave up the real motorcycles 12 years ago, and just want to make a comeback to Riding as I can... on the cheap. Even my daughter asked "Why don't you just buy a Motorcycle?" Well, she doesn't realize that I gave them up back when she not even born yet.

I guess it's personal, but I gave up the real cycles for a reason back then, and am just wanting to get a little back into it again with the motor bicycle. This is why I want the lighting to be just right.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you use a motorcycle battery,use a motorcycle or car battery charger.
if you use a cordless power tool battery,they come with a charger or they have one availlable in the same isle near the batteries and tools.if you use a electric bike battery pack they have a charger available for them.

my 18v battery weighs 1lb or less and last for days and cost around $18 and i have a 1hour quick charger.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Yes, you can hook a light to the white wire and ground to the frame. But it will only work with the correct bulb. Some bulbs will kill the engine when you turn them on and others will burn out very quickly.....................

ACIDBURN

Feb 16, 2009
Brisbane Australia
coudlnt you just connect a diode in series with the white wire and run a few high intensity led's?. How many led's could it run ?. Led's dont draw very much current considering what they put out?. And if you through in a capacitor you wouldnt run the risk of blowing anything with surges of electricity.

Or even goto the motorcycle wreckers and pinch the rectifier and charging bits of a honda fifty or something. Wouldnt cost more that 30$ i reckon they might even throw in the old battery with it. I think there 6v arnt they?

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Beats me there isn't a motorcycle wreaking yard within a 100 miles of me as far as I know.
Besides I have a good working headlight and taillight that works off the white wire no experimenting wire it up and go. No diodes or capacitors in my light just an on and off switch all connections are soldered so it won't shake apart.
The price is not that bad check out a price for a light at a bike shop/ Wallmart and see how long they will last on a MB the vibs will sake one of those apart in no time.
There isn't any harm though if you want to experiment I did and have a small box full of blown light bulbs some were expensive.
Acidburn
I checked on the shipping price to OZ and it would be about $15.00 for 3 headlights if you have some friends you guys could split the shipping expense.
Just an idea.