how to tie spokes

GoldenMotor.com

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
first off youre gonna need a small assortment of tools.

1. electrical pliers
2.gloves (optional but they protect your ands and let you pull tighter)
3. QUALITY 20 gauge steel wire (0.88mm)

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
next is cutting the wire

1 pull out approximately 2ft of wire

2 cut with the electrical pliers

3 bend approximately 1 inch into a hook

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
stating the tie

1 insert the hook where the spokes meet

2 pull both ends across each other

3 with your finger push the long end under the spokes

4 pull it through the other end and you have your first loop

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
more on tying

1 continue to make loops and pull them tight but not super tight because you will alter the point at which the spokes cross each other, we dont want that. once you have about 4 loops, cross the wire downwards (or upwards if you started tying down). the picture here is very blurry but its the best one I took.

2 once you cross push the wire under and continue to make loops until you only have about 8 inches left, these you can pull VERY tight (the tighter the better). then place the wire across again. it will look like this

3 push the wire under again and it will look like so

4 continue to make loops until you have about 1 inch left. again the tighter the better on these, and make sure they are next to each other with no gaps.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
finishing the tie

1 pull whats left across and wrap around the middle

2 wrap the other end thats thats sticking out around the middle and were almost done

3 apply solder to the spoke ends or all over if you want. either with the soldering iron, or a torch if youre impatient

4 if you dont have these items then just use some jb weld. gorilla glue will do in a pinch.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
the finished product

top view

side view

just for kicks so that you can see the difference between a wheel spoke tied for normal use. this was using copper wire then soldered....a lot smaller he?

finally some one wanted to see the picture of the bike "with small tires". well I dont have any other than the first one I took after I built it, and at this time I did not have the dropdown handlebars because I had not figured out how to mount the throttle yet. All I wanted to do at this time was get it installed and start riding it.....sorry.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah. I use the biggest zip tie that will pull down around the cross in the spokes. I use a pair of pliers to pull 'em tight.

You can tell a difference when riding.

Light, quick, cheap.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Stiffens the wheels up and if you do break a spoke, which I never have, I imagine it would keep it in line with the rest and not flopping around.

oldguy

Sep 12, 2008
Missouri
I tied the spokes on my 700c wheel when I put a GEBE system on my bike because I was afraid it would break some spokes. I used small nylon ties and it did stiffen up the wheel. Also did not have any problem with broken spokes. Letting those crossed spokes support each other seems to do the job. Cheap fast and effective.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Yea, you ride it with a whip and spiked patten leather boots too? Ohh the pain, rotfl
Unless you have taken half the spokes out, don't fret yourself about it. The spokes are really strong. They are stronger than a "mag" wheel. Keep them tight tho. Once a month is a good time to check them, unless you have had a unusual ride.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
some people just dont want to do the work. No one has tried it yet they say how zip ties work much better. zip ties are a joke all they do is hold the spokes in place.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I also used wire ties on my spokes, running a 50t sprocket I was worried about the torque, as most of the time I dont peddle to start off. Close to 1000 miles on a Wallyworld bike and no problems.....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
some people just dont want to do the work. No one has tried it yet they say how zip ties work much better. zip ties are a joke all they do is hold the spokes in place.

That's a lot of extra work for the same effect....you only need so much "extra strength".

Zip ties are not a joke at all and work very well....holding the spokes in place just as well as your uber retentive wire job does.

It is a good tutorial if you have all day to do something like that.

I also like the added efficiency of being able to cut the zip ties off in 1 second rather than make a nest of a mess removing all that expensive wire/time if you need to.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
:eek:I liked the look of the wire ties looked like a clean job. I'am confused about the zip ties pic of zip set up please. Although I never had a prob with my spokes just tighten em up