!! ITS THE POPE !! Ya: He swings both ways...

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well alrighty. Now starts the reboot of my BTR build. This all started a LONG time ago with my discovery of this site and Dan Orabonas work at Taylar cycles. Fell in love with the BTR look and decided I wanted to build one. Not having ANY skills at the time and wanting it done properly I purchased a brand new Worksman Industrial Newsboy and had it shipped directly to Dan. I have only 2 regrets about the build as done by Dan. And BOTH are my fault. Dan suggested that I have the frame stretched 3 or 4 inches. Being both cheap and uninformed I declined. Should have done it. The next was going with a 66cc 2 stroke. Once the rideable build was back in my hands I quickly got annoyed with the 2 stroke and the short couple between the saddle and the handlebars. The original build thread can be seen HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31870 I eventually parked the bike in the garage and there it sat for YEARS. I originally started all this spring of 2011. Since: I have built and completed 2 four stroke builds and am now commited to the 4 stroke. See: Chief say HOW! and PPFST build threads. Recently, after vacillating on how to go about finishing on a theme and workable plan I finally made up my mind. Close but not quite semi replica of a 1914 Pope. 4 stroke with a twist. I would use a 97cc flathead from a Doodlebug mini bike and loose the springer front end. and with a little cleverness, the bike would be a "convertible" swapping bars and saddle morphing from BTR to Gentleman's Express. Getting closer: PICTURES!

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks T. The BTR REALLY wants to handle! Throw it into a corner and it does what its told with gusto. HOWEVER: The problem is with the 7" bent cranks once I'm on the thing going and all bent over I have to ride for a bit with one knee up on the up side pedal till I have some speed up. Then I can sit up and THROW my knee above my ear to get my foot on the pedal and ride properly. I would buy Lynns at http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wi...r_clearing_4_stroke_motors68mm_bottom_bracket bout half way down the page... but they are cottered; and I already have all my bottom bracket bits and Phantom CroMo shaft nickle plated. I need a shorter set of taper fit; bent pedal's but nobody makes em. SO I guess I'll have to... New set; a die grinder, then off to my pro welder

Attachments

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I ran the stock carb on my flathead for awhile, but now I'm running the mikuni pz19 carb, and I like it much better. No external throttle linkage needed. I haven't done a speed run yet (at least not a successful one lol, the carb needed tuned very badly the first time I tried), but she pulls real nice with this carb.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Moto! Yes the Gentlemen's Express config is very comfortable. And to be honest the BTR feels "hyperbike" comfortable like a sportbike should. Well... It will once I have the pedals sorted. Heres how the BTR bars evolved. I started with a set of "Indian" style bars from Sportscarpat with his original design clamps. Once I decided on the Pope direction I needed 2 more clamps, unfortunatly some time before this Pat had changed his design and I thought I was screwed. I contacted Pat and he did some scrounging. He had 2 (just two) left hiding in the shop. I got VERY lucky. So; of course; now I needed some ape hangers :) The construction process is well explained in a quite funny thread that kinda got out of hand... HERE
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43935&page=5 post 42 has some good pictures

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Pieces parts Pope... ALL broken down and in for powdercoat! Last bits to be nickle plated are at the chromer. I had to have a set of taper fit wide cranks cut and rewelded. Turns out in BTR configuration. I have to throw my R knee above my head to get my right foot on the pedal when using 7" cranks. Now its easier but they also need polish and nickle plate. However; was possable to ride it. In BTR config though its one uncomfortable BEEE-ATCH.laff