Tubeless Tires: Add your 2 cents here.

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
How do they light the propane once its in the tire? Lol.

Toss a lit match.

I've used starter fluid on a tractor tire, however, the sidewalls are so thin on our bike tires, you'd probably burst the tire with this method. This is not recommended at all.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
How do they light the propane once its in the tire? Lol.
With the valve core removed, they light the top of the valve stem. They say it works but it's absolutely nuts. Would if you put too much in and how would you now how much is too much? When you catch your face on fire? LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If your tires are easy to remove from your wheel then tubeless is not practical by any reason. The tires especially WIDE tires have to be shoe-horned on to a rim. Maybe you could get by with loose skinny tires going tubeless but not wide tires. It's just too hard to get the bead to seat on the rim.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Trust me, I'd never do it. Just trying to understand how it works. Just throw a lit match at the tire once the propane is inside it? I'm confused.
The explosive force of the compressed propane blows the beads into the seat of the rim. Use too much propane and you could be pummeled with rubber shrapnel from the tire exploding. It would make a great YouTube video though. LOL

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That's freaking nuts, lol. I found an easy way to seat the tire today. I ended up trying to pump the tire twice before figuring it out though. I've got a hand pump. This method might not work with a compressor, but here is what I did. I pumped a few pumps at a time, stopped and worked the bead into place, first squeezing the tire, then pushing the bead on. Then a few more pumps, working the bead again until there was too much pressure to work the bead anymore. By that time, the tire was perfectly seated anyway. Pumped it up to 40 psi as per my usual, and no issues. Was reinstalling the tire after a wheel fiasco that ended with me lacing an old hub into a new rim and taking it to the bike shop to have it trued.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's freaking nuts, lol. I found an easy way to seat the tire today. I ended up trying to pump the tire twice before figuring it out though. I've got a hand pump. This method might not work with a compressor, but here is what I did. I pumped a few pumps at a time, stopped and worked the bead into place, first squeezing the tire, then pushing the bead on. Then a few more pumps, working the bead again until there was too much pressure to work the bead anymore. By that time, the tire was perfectly seated anyway. Pumped it up to 40 psi as per my usual, and no issues. Was reinstalling the tire after a wheel fiasco that ended with me lacing an old hub into a new rim and taking it to the bike shop to have it trued.
Yeah there's all kinds of methods and most probably work with a narrow width tire on a narrow width rim. The sidewall bead on my tire is so narrow and my rim is so wide (50mm) that I put a strap around my tire to cinch it up and force the tire bead out to contact the rim lip. Now I just need a blast of air. I'll give it a few more tries with this tire, then I'm giving up until my Halo Contras get here.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yeah, I've got a 1.95 tire on a 1.75 rim, so that probably makes it fairly easy compared to wider rims and tires.
Yep. I just got back from the gas station with my cargo strap wrapped all the way around my tire and a couple of old guys were looking at me trying to get air in my tire. They were looking at me like I was from Mars or something. LMAO

It didn't work. I'm putting my tube back on. I'll just wait for my new tires.