Rack-Mounting An Airplane Engine

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Rack-Mounting An Airplane Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to convert a propellor engine to bicycle use?

Not using the propellor, but pulleys, clutches and sprockets?

JMO, these engines might be a good alternative because of their compact size and light weight. I'm especially referring to those twin-cylinder models like this one:

eBay

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I thought about the same thing BUT I was going to try a .21 or larger
Car engine with Pull start....That would take care of the starting issue and car engines have larger head heat sinks to dissipate heat, PLus they come fitted with a centrifugal clutch to boot ...3.5 CC of POWER!....Have to gear it down somewhat BUT I'd love to see somebody make it work!

Either way...THAT would be a neat project!

Good Luck if you try to do it

Andrew

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
The page that comes up says ebay can't find it.

Can you describe the motor so we can do a search for it.

I know that there are some manufacturers of small light weight industrial transmissions. Some even produce them for riding lawnmowers. But it would
likely require a 90 degree transfer that could adapt directly to the motor and have a centrifigul clutching system.

I saw a small 2cyl horizontal motor used for ultra lights once and thought it could make a MB look like a BMW. (of course the frame would have to be extended enough to still use the pedals)

Are you talking about a twin cyl engine, or a horizontal ?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Right off the bat I'm gonna say an airplane engine is designed to spin a propellor at speed so I would assume that the design of said engine would be terribly lacking in bottom end torque.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Add that mill to the frame of one of those shaft drive bicycles to make a mini Beemer.