Anyone Using a Rear Disc Brake

GoldenMotor.com

ShakenBake

Jun 25, 2013
Austin Tx
I'm curious if anyone is using a rear disc brake. I am looking for some ideas on how to get a disc brake, and single speed bicycle gear, and a motorcycle sprocket all on one hub. I want superior stopping power. Has anyone done this?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I use front and rear 203mm disc brakes on my Diamondback motorized bicycle, but they bolt onto the rear dropout.

I DID buy a rear disc brake adaptor on ebay for another cruiser bike. This bike has 130mm axle width, so I was able to fit in an 8-speed cassette and a 203mm rear disc rotor.

I've heard of mountain bikes stuffing the rear sprocket AND disc rotor on the left side. However, they had the dropout frame mounting AND 135mm width.

Hope this helps.

ShakenBake

Jun 25, 2013
Austin Tx
Hey thanks! So I am very interested in any adaptors that attach to the bike frame or front fork. Mainly the front fork right now. My first cruiser I just built has super crappy rims and the handbrakes squeek and totally suck. I even sanded the rims down with a 120 Grit sandpaper and it didn't help. I also changed the brake pads and is did nothing. I'm getting frustrated with my brakes so much I'm not riding it until I can come up with a solution.

I did order a 12g 4 cross spoke workman wheel with a front disc brake hub and rotor. I was going to use it to build up my next bike but if I can find an adaptor for the fork I have I might try to put it on my cruiser to fix my braking issue. My fork is the standard fork that comes on the Kent Del Rio frame. It is just straight chrome. There is nothing on it to attach a disc brake to. It wasn't made for disc brakes. If there isn;t anything that I can find pretty quick Im going to just order a new Monarch Type II all black with the disc brake adaptor and put that new wheel on it and add the whole front end to my cruiser and re-attch the bars. Let me know of any disc brake frame adaptors if you know of them. Thanks

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Firstly, check to see if you have 1" or 1.125" steerer tube for your fork. The larger tube accepts mountain bike generic suspension fork w/disc brake. If they fit, then find a cheap fork w/brake and swap the parts out.

If yours is 1" steerer tube, you could contact the vendors on this site for assistance. There's also this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-brake-...sories&var=&hash=item3f26106820#ht_193wt_1391

No one has bought and made a review on it on this site yet.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I just scored some 20" micargi mags with threads for disc adaptors front and rear so I will be in a week or so. However long it takes for shipping. But this will be on a pedal bike first. With an extreme single speed gearing.

Gonna review these wheels as well - '20" Micargi mags' - check it out.

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
It's a tough modifacation the ones they sell on L.E.B & kings sprockett need to be modified.
the most important thing is the alignmint of the motor to sprockett.dance1dance1

Attachments