Tire Mystery

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
On a side note my 24x3.0's have miles and miles of room . But I am not using a H.T. motor. One could prolly get more room if'n they had to, by custom mounting the China H.T. engine Over further to the left tho.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
On a side note my 24x3.0's have miles and miles of room . But I am not using a H.T. motor. One could prolly get more room if'n they had to, by custom mounting the China H.T. engine Over further to the left tho.
Goat,
The engines on these two bikes are off-set 9/16" to the left just for that reason. Both bikes have custom engine mounts to give me tire/chain clearance.

The marks are not consistant with the angle of the chain where it could touch the tire even if it could. It is not a chain issue. I promise you.

Sending you a PM re: Ghost peppers :(

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I saw your build threads and enjoyed them . Very nice beautiful craftsmanship as always too. I knew you had mounted those motors perfectly and to the left just like you are saying here.:) I just for a second figured somebody with a H.T. might not understand?

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
It reminds me of 'wrinkle wall' drag slicks after a car has been towed through a dusty pit or return lane.
What's with this? Any ideas, guys? Tom
Tom- When I was a wee lad, I spent some fine afternoons at Sacramento Speedway, and I see it too. I read through this entire thread and what that fella was talking about is a problem I have, but it is not yours. Once had a job that took me to the desert. The dust is a strange thing, and static patterns are real. I believe the dust/ dirt/ roadgrime, coming off the ground via your rear tire, is being patterned onto your sidewall by your rear fender flares. and?
What do you think?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom- When I was a wee lad, I spent some fine afternoons at Sacramento Speedway, and I see it too. I read through this entire thread and what that fella was talking about is a problem I have, but it is not yours. Once had a job that took me to the desert. The dust is a strange thing, and static patterns are real. I believe the dust/ dirt/ roadgrime, coming off the ground via your rear tire, is being patterned onto your sidewall by your rear fender flares. and?
What do you think?
Trey,
It is most certainly a pattern. It is road dirt, wipes off easily, but as for what is depositing it in that pattern??? Your guess is as good as any.

I remember seeing some tests they do for aerodynamic design when they build airplanes and even cars. They had ink soaked threads attached to the skin and ran the vehicles through a speed trial or a wind tunnel to see where the ink would go. It would leave trails indicating how and where the wind moved over the skin. It was amazing to see how it would flow.

I'm sure my tire marks are a result of something similar. Unless and until I find out what, I'll just keep wiping them away after each ride. If winter ever gives me a break I'll go out and try some of the suggestions I've recieved but there's 8" of new snow on the ground today. Maybe by August???
Thanks for the input.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, it seemed possible. I'll pretend I'm right until you figure out it's been aliens all along! Darnedest thing... be sure and let us know what turns out.
It snowed here today too- 3 inches, in a sweatshirt by 2p, not too bad.

Next time you put a new baseball card in your spokes, work out a self wiping contraption for your problem(^)

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Ah ha! I am a little embarrassed that it got so bad before I noticed it, but in my defense, I'm a bum.
Tom, I was talking to you while alone in my garage last night because;
the same marks, the same side- except mine actually has rubber worn off in that pattern. My pedal chain is a little over tight, so it is certainly not rubbing... so how?
Can't post pics yet, but I will.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd sort of forgotten about this thread and I'd promised to post a follow up after the weather got nicer. I've tried the suggestions you guys gave me; fabric softener, dryer sheets, etc. to no avail.

The marks are still on my rear tire and appear after every ride. I clean the sidewalls with soapy water and they look great, until I put eight to ten miles on the bike and the marks return. Still a mystery and I have to wonder why this bike does it but the Captain America bike doesn't. Same rear tire, same fender, etc. Really weird and a little annoying.

I'm anxious to see Trey's pictures and what his looks like. By comparison, my tires show absolutely no sign of contact with anything. No rubber chafed or permenant marks, just the dusty residue in that strange criss-cross pattern.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Well, not exactly the same. Now that I look again, there is clearly chain contact- but how I don't know. And the chafing only appears in one direction of the X pattern. (sorry, I washed the tire before I had a camera.) I'll have to call this a fail to match.

Pic 1: The pedal chain side.
Pic 2: The drive chain side wear I mentioned before.

There's a little man in a small room in my head who will NOT stop thinking about this...

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Trey,
That is surely chain contact. It has a similar pattern as that on my tire but not the same.
If/when my leg heals and I can ride this bike again, sans the rear fender, I'll check to see if my marks come back and report.

Tom