coaster brake problem help

GoldenMotor.com

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
hello all. New here and can't do a thread search. anyways I have coasterbrakes. the tab that is on the frame fell of and spun the axial which made the wheel hub wobble. took it apart to fix it and now the whole wheel wobbles. how do I fix it. thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
hello all. New here and can't do a thread search. anyways I have coasterbrakes. the tab that is on the frame fell of and spun the axial which made the wheel hub wobble. took it apart to fix it and now the whole wheel wobbles. how do I fix it. thanks in advance.
...not sure why you'd be having problems with searching but here is a link to the results and i'd bet you'll find many answers in addition to the one you seek.

coaster brakes

peace, bozo

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Could be the bolts on the axle unthreaded loose, allowing the bearing cones to have too much play between the bearings. Or it could be it may have been tightened too much, or not enough grease. Hard to say without seeing it in person.

Try removing the wheel, repack the bearings with fresh grease and reassemble, but not too tightly or you might shorten the life of the bearings. Replace the tab for the coaster break or it WILL damage the axle. You can make one using a metal strap. I once made one from a strip I cut from an old license plate.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's what happens when the brake arm comes loose from the frame & spins around... It unscrews the inside of the brake & spreads the frame apart until the axle snaps into two pieces!!

You most likely have a broken axle. :(

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
Thank you all for the responses and I have figured it out. I took it apart and one set of bearings was destroyed. I bought the bike brand new and don't think the guy who built knew what he was doing. The brake arm was welded to the nut on the axle the cone . I replaced the bearings but whe put it back together bearings seem to be the wrong size. It fits in the hub side but tight the cone seems to be to small. Tighten it all back up and the hub still loose if I try to tighten it up the wheel starts ro drag and bearings sound they are grinding. Im justgoingto put different brake system on it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Take the wheel with you to a bike shop and get the correct parts to repair your hub.
You cannot mix and match different sized bearings without trouble. You need the right size.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Here's what happens when the brake arm comes loose from the frame & spins around... It unscrews the inside of the brake & spreads the frame apart until the axle snaps into two pieces!!

You most likely have a broken axle. :(
I had that same thing happen on my Whizzer. Luckily it happened as I was stopping in my drive. I heard it pop, let off, grabbed some front brakes, had a beer and checked out the carnage. I was able to get everything rebuilt for $15. Learning is fun!laff