Disc brake mounting, how to???

GoldenMotor.com

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
So I bought the Onyx 29", and installed a 66cc kit in it, almost complete now.
But the coaster brake suxx big time!

And so, I wanted a brake. But the Genesis rims are not upto the task for V-brakes, as the edges are painted.
Thus, I was looking to equip the bike with a disc brake.

So first thing I thought, is I need another fork, because the fork of the bike has no mounting points for disc brakes.
And I found on Amazon a few forks, with suspension and disc brake mounts for under $100. Good price if you ask me.

So, How do I do it?

I understand the disc brake caliper can be installed on the fork, but how do I install the disc?

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You have to get a wheel with a disk brake hub, they have a standard six bolt pattern.
Either that or you can lace up your own wheel.
Also most mtb suspension forks have a 1 1/8 steerer tube and most cruiser bikes have a 1" head tube... I'm not sure what head tube the onyx has, might wanna check with other forum members who have them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've said this before and still believe it. The makers of the sprocket adapters, Pirate, Sportsman and others should explore a clamp on disc brake adapter for this modification.
If they can make an adapter to mount a sprocket why not a similar item to mount a disc brake rotor? Seems simple to me and a marketable part.
It would be cheaper in the long run than a new hub or rim and the cost of having it laced if the builder isn't up to that task.

Just a thought.

Tom

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Well for one there are many variation of hub sizes and shapes for the front.
And from bike talk from friends and the local LBS guys the sudden load that is sustained under braking is much much greater than the subtle torque most of engines put out, even the highly modified race motors some of the guys make.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are many variations of rear hub sizes too and they make them to fit. As for braking force being more than that applied by a good running engine or for those who use the clutch to kill the engine, I'd have to see proof. Normal braking would not approach the force that a clamp on sprocket adapter gets during engine start or killing it with the clutch. A properly installed clamp on adapter doesn't slip under those loads.

Tom

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You may be right, only proof of someone actually trying one would verify it or not.

I still believe the reason why no one has done it before is because of design costs, like having to comply to varying hub designs, having to make a design that fits the pattern of disks available, or even having to make a custom disk that fits...

But anyways sorry for the thread jack.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Center hub disc brake adapters have less material than a sprocket adapter. However, the hub and adapters are machined to prevent slippage.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Yeah, I was hoping there existed some sort of disc that could be mounted on the spokes; or some adapter, as there's really nothing the disc can hold on to.
I presume that front wheels all have the same system (size axis), so discs could fit the axis (mine is ~35mm, or 1 3/8") , so aside from the spoke difference they should fit.
The problem with disc brakes is that the forces exerted on them, can be multiple times the forces of an engine sprocket.
Under normal use, no, but under emergency braking, yes.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
I've said this before and still believe it. The makers of the sprocket adapters, Pirate, Sportsman and others should explore a clamp on disc brake adapter for this modification.
If they can make an adapter to mount a sprocket why not a similar item to mount a disc brake rotor? Seems simple to me and a marketable part.
It would be cheaper in the long run than a new hub or rim and the cost of having it laced if the builder isn't up to that task.

Just a thought.

Tom
Hi Guys,

I think the idea of a hub adapter to make a non disc brake hub, disc brake capable can be done BUT it may not be the most cost effective / best solution.

Basically, for front wheel application, you would need to have one of the hub adapters to grip the front hub and then a second piece would need to be machined to attach to the hub adapter and then "step down" and provide the mounting holes ( 6 holes) needed to mount a standard rotor (I suppose this step could possibly be bypassed IF a custom rotor could be machined to directly bolt up to the sprocket adapter without the need to first go to a 6 hole adapter.....I hope that was clear? (if not continue below....)

As a side note, I recently had a customer call me and ask me to make a sprocket for his Manic Mechanic in a 34T size (a size that may not normally work with the standard adapter since the BCD of the mounting bolts are a large 3 5/8") AND he wanted some way to add a disc brake to a non-disc brake hub.

I took that as a challenge and ultimately we made the following parts to help make his vision a reality (see pics)...

The first part is the Sombrero Adapter....Basically its role is to bolt to the MM adapter and "step down" and provide the mounting holes for the smaller sprocket (remember, in this case we were doing a rear wheel setup....IF this was for a front wheel application (assuming that somebody would make a hub adapter for a front wheel hub) the Sombrero Adapter would have been drilled to accept the 6 bolt ISO disc brake rotor and the disc rotor would then be directly bolted to it)....this would result in converting a non disc brake front wheel into a disc brake capable front wheel.

The second part of the rear conversion was a custom made sprocket that mounts to the Sombrero adapter AND provides the 6 holes needed for a disc rotor to mount...We made the 6 holes stand off about 1/4" BUT ultimately a large rotor should be bolted to the sprocket so that the caliper can ride above the sprocket and not interfere with things.

The customer in this case ALREADY had the MM hub adapter so his costs were reduced somewhat....If he needed to purchase the MM adapter AND the Sombrero adapter he may have been better off purchasing a new disc brake wheel to start with.

Anyways, it was an interesting project and a made me think of ways to do things that you may not otherwise think of doing.

FWIW - There was also a fella that bought a Top Hat from us that used it to make a disc brake front wheel from a non disc brake front wheel (using the factory rubber mounts, it is possible to clamp the Top Hat to the spokes (like mounting a sprocket) and then he used the 6 holes of the Top Hat to mount the disc brake rotor....did it work? yes, BUT like mounting a sprocket using the factory rubber mounts the disc rotor wobbled...Plus all the braking stresses was on half the spokes...again, just like mounting the sprocket on the rear using the factory rag joint.

Anyways, it was definitely an innovative way of doing things...did it work? yes, but again it wasn't necessarily the best way to do things...probably it would have been better to get a disc brake wheel either new or used if $$ is an issue.

In either event, I love tinkering with things and that for me is the best part of messing with our motorized bikes.

Have fun!

Andrew

PS - even if you convert a non disc brake bike to disc brakes (at least for the front wheel), please research front fork strength before you do so....that's potentially a whole extra can of worms.....

Attachments

Last edited:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
How about just 6 bolts going across the wheel?
Mount the disc brake, by inserting several bolts, allowing it to press on the spokes, and put a counter disc on the other side (or a second disc brake).

All you need is a rubber or plastic piece that would support the 36, or 48 spokes.

Most front wheel axis' have the same width, and the same spoke setup.