cantilever brakes or change to disc?

GoldenMotor.com

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
hello all, new to the site. just wondering if any one had experience with a cantilever schwinn? i ride a 1995-96 cruiser six anniversary issue schwinn. the rear brake yoke is in the way of mounting hole for the rear phantom rack. the adjustment of the yoke is`nt enough to get it up and out of the way. the cross cable will rub or grind away on the rack. because of the arch. should i check into disc brakes and what cheap disc brakes will work for my application? thanks for any help. wez.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
go for disc brakes, if you have the budget. If not, try one of those drum brakes. Cantilevers are quite useless when it's wet. I'm converting to disc brakes, but still saving up the budget. My front is already disc, only the rear needs conversion.

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
thanks for the info. sending picture. the drum brake sounds like it might be a winner. checking online for drum brake parts. and cost? as you can see the yoke is right in the way of the rack mount hole. i can still bring the yoke up to just short of the cable holding bridge. if i were to use screw sleeve as a bushing,i still think it may be a future problem. thanks and i will check into the drum brake idea. all my best wez.

Attachments

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
I have a disc brake in the front wheel and a rim brake in the rear wheel
Best of both worlds
Activated with a single lever ;)
Peace

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
You can upgrade to V brakes using the same mounts and they are quite a bit stronger than canti's and stronger than the hub brakes too. Discs would be hard to retro on that frame. I have V's on my bike and they work quite well.

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
the problem is in the rack mount and the fenders. the v brake may work, but i need to get on the outside of the rack and fender. plus the brake cable bridge is in dead center. if i use the v brakes do they have a center pull? i think they only come in a left or right pull? wez

Guthrie

Jul 17, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I was wondering if you ever resolved your issue with your Schwinn Cruiser Six anniversary edition? I have the same bike from 1995 which I would like to add a front and rear rack for errands (like grocery shopping). I've pretty much given up on the front rack option after researching but found nothing. So, what did you end up doing?