29 inch tubes and presta valves

GoldenMotor.com

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
29 inch wheel sets are getting pretty popular, I've seen a few build on here with the Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser, and the 29" Thruster "fixie".

These come with 29" Tubes with a schrader valve and wheels with a larger hole to match the schrader valve. If you get hole in a tube that you cant patch, its hard to find a 29" tube with a schrader valve, they are all presta.

Solution, just use a 26" tube. It works, just a lil bit of a different install. I put the tire on the rim with one bead, put the valve through the rim, then stuffed and stretched the tube onto the rim, then finished putting the tire on. You just cant find a schrader valve 29" tube.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
Re: 29 inch tubes ans presta valves

ive also done this without any major problems. ive even stretched a 24'' tube on a 700c(29'') rode it for a couple of months, no issues

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

You haven't looked hard enough.

You can find anything on the internet. I got this off Amazon.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida

i accually prefere presta valves. its a much smarter design. if you dont have a pump for the presta or if you use air compressor they make adapters for less than a dollar.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa

You haven't looked hard enough.

You can find anything on the internet. I got this off Amazon.
Do you have the amazon link for that? I'm curious on how much they would be shipped and the time etc. 26 inch tubes at wal-mart for 5.00 flat no shipping and no waiting seems kinda hard to beat.

Attachments

Last edited:

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa

i accually prefere presta valves. its a much smarter design. if you dont have a pump for the presta or if you use air compressor they make adapters for less than a dollar.
Can you put the presta valve tube in a wheel that has a hole for a schrader? I was told not to do it because it would pop the tube. But it seems there is always a trick.

I'd like to use the right size tubes, but I'd also like to ride.

Last edited:

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.

I have read here somewhere,someone used o ring or grommet,sounds like it would work.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

Can you put the presta valve tube in a wheel that has a hole for a schrader? I was told not to do it because it would pop the tube. But it seems there is always a trick.

I'd like to use the right size tubes, but I'd also like to ride.
Check with your local bike shop. There are little rubber adapters that will allow you to use a Presta valve tube in a Schrader valve rim. I have used them for years now on my mtn. bike.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

They actually make schrader valve adapters. I bought a tube with presta valve at my local bike shop once, and he sold me an adapter for it because I didnt have a presta valve attachment on my pump.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Update, the 26" tube in the 29" wheel blew out in less than a week. Looks as if the tube got too thin when it was stretched. If i did this agian, I'd use a 26" HD tube. I ended up finding a correct size schrader tube at a local bike store