beach cruiser components question

GoldenMotor.com

haxing

Sep 12, 2009
California
so i toom apart my bearing of my wheel to re-grease with high temp grease. how do i tell if their the cheap bearings? and where to find bearings and correct fittings to make my bike last.

i've heard beach cruisers are meant to be 8-10 mph. i will put an engine soon and hope everything will last for awhile.

also is it possible to convert coaster brake wheels to disc brake? if the threads are compatible with disc brake adapters.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
nothing you can do to upgrade bearings unless you are willing to fork out some cash for sealed cartridge bearings. a better hub is the way to go. coaster brakes are fine, it frees up the bars. they have more than enough power to lockup the rear wheel. disc brakes are good in the front, though.

LS1vazquez

Sep 8, 2012
San Jose
I just got done putting a 80/66cc on my Raleigh Beach Cruiser. I didn't set the first sprocket up correctly and the rear wheel started to get a little wobble in it. Fortunately I was able to take the rear tire to a local bike store and they were able to repack the bearings and regrease the hub. I have it now and I'm watching to see how it goes.

It originally had a coaster hub but I went ahead and elected not to hook it up. I decided to go ahead and run a front caliper brake instead. It's leaving black residue from the pad on my white wheels but it works and it stops the bike. I researched going to a disc front and rear but it would be a tight fit on the rear and the front wasn't set up for a disc.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
soooo.... your telling me that you were planning on just using a coaster brake and no front brakes?!?! you need both! hook up both! you need an adapter to run a front disc, no need for it in the back cuz ya already got a coaster. i would upgrade the front brakes asap, and in the mean time keep them well adjusted and clean.

militaryman

Sep 13, 2012
oklahoma
soooo.... your telling me that you were planning on just using a coaster brake and no front brakes?!?! you need both! hook up both! you need an adapter to run a front disc, no need for it in the back cuz ya already got a coaster. i would upgrade the front brakes asap, and in the mean time keep them well adjusted and clean.

I agree --- Starting a build and want a front brake too !!

Could you please give a supplier link for a FRONT v-brake set-up and the adapter that is needed for installation on a 26" Cruiser (rear coaster brake only)

I found this link referenced elsewhere on this site but it indicates they are for REAR

http://www.danscomp.com/482018.php?cat=PARTS

http://www.danscomp.com/489051.php?cat=PARTS

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
i use the dans v brake adapter on my 26 inch trek beach cruiser, as my rear coaster hub threw bearings out of it one day on a ride. they work great. front and rear as long as there is a hole. they even cleared my stock fenders.
you can see them on my build in the beach cruisers section titled
been riding the trek for two years, time to go custom.
i suggest getting the sbp dual brake lever if you go with a similar setup.

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
Hi
The answer to your questions.
"how do i tell if their the cheap bearings?"

Yes you have "cheap" bearings.

This does not mean they are bad bearings.

Your bearings (in your case) consist of balls and races .

There are very technical specific that control the grade of the bearing.

But for a basic "cheap" bicycle you are at the mercy of the supplier.

Most likely they are adequate or better

In reality the adjustment and lubrication of the bearing will determine the the longevity.

So in short if your bearing is correctly lubricated and adjusted it should give good life less any manufacture defects (can happen but not likely).

Find someone that understands how bearings work (a GOOD bicycle mechanic, machinist or engineer) to set the bearings and and explain to you how they work and need to be set and you should be fine with what you have.

This should be a regular maintenance item not to be ignored (adjust & lube)

Most all of the wheel bearing failures that I have seen photos seen here look like adjustment, lubrication or abuse problems.

Like all things in life it's the little things that make a difference ;)

GOOG LUK

so i toom apart my bearing of my wheel to re-grease with high temp grease. how do i tell if their the cheap bearings? and where to find bearings and correct fittings to make my bike last.

i've heard beach cruisers are meant to be 8-10 mph. i will put an engine soon and hope everything will last for awhile.

also is it possible to convert coaster brake wheels to disc brake? if the threads are compatible with disc brake adapters.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
you can buy balls from a bike shop if you think the ones you have aren't good enough. you may be able to find hardened cones online for the hub you have. just inspect them every month or so and they will be fine. failing to keep the bearings adjusted is what makes them fail.