I have a idea for more performance

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I pulled the trigger and purchased a 4 stroke kit.
I know its impossible to put a turbocharger on a 2 stroke kit is it possible to put a small turbo on a huasheng 142f motor for more power. It sounds stupid but turbochargers are free horsepower.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Turbos and singles don't mix well, lots of factories have tried and lots of factories have given up. What's your R&D budget like?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
They aren't free horsepower either. Turbos cost more than the kit you want to put it on.

Here's an idea, why not go the twin engine route?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
okay,rednecks have been souping up their lawnmowers for decades,using a belt drive air pump from a ford or mopar engine.the air pump provides the boost.
i will leave it up to you to dig it out.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
A turbo would be very cool on such a small motor. It would be quite difficult and you'd only be able to run a small amount of boost but any boost is good boost.

Now I want to make one.. :D

Here's a site with one that looks actually not too hard. Even better, it's only 300 bucks! I suppose that's a lot, but you could make a real fun project out of this. They even have fuel injection and an ecu which could either just be annoying to use or it'll provide the perfect tuning to your 4 stroke+a turbo and you'll fly
http://www.chinese-parts-canada.com/turbocharger_fuel_injection.html

Last edited:

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think it makes more sense to just put a new cam and exhaust to get more power from my bike. But i still think a small turbo with 5-10 pounds of boost would be cool i just have to pay someone to put it together.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
turbos spin very fast

like 20k-160k rpm

they need to be strong and light

to purchase a turbo like mentioned above would be sweet if you had the budget but if you dont try tinkering with vaccum impellers from shopvacs or other vaccum/blowers

the smog pump from an old car like mentiond above has been done but you need to gear them so high to be usefull, most need oil lines, and they are huge compared to the engine

ive been wanting to turbo small engines for a while, good luck!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You might consider Nitrous Oxide injection too. It wouldn't be too hard to plumb a nozzle into the intake port on most engines. Tuning would be fun, but possibly expensive...remember you need more gas to take advantage of Nitrous.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
the bearings the a turbo ride one are oiled bearings for the shaft, and thrust bearings that controll lateral movement of the impellers and shaft, the single exhaust pulse put out by a single cylinder motor hammers the exhaust impeller and it wears out the thrust bearings, also, that electric supercharger, nothing but a pos computer fan in a tube, no way for it to increase pressure.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
you would need an oil pump capable of supplying 50psi+ of fresh oil, an oil tank to hold the turbo oil, replace the seals in the turbo with carbon seals if your going to do a draw threw set up (alot easier). if you want to do a blow threw carb set up your going to have to build a boost sealed box around your carb and run boost reference lines to your fuel tank so that under boost it doesnt blow the fuel out of your carb back in your tank. its also going to take alot of tuning to get it to idle right and not lean out under boost. with a draw threw set up throw out the notion of an intercooler, the intake piping from the turbo to the motor will have to be as short as possible due to the carb being mounted infront of the turbo and having it compress the fuel laden charge. down side of this is if it back fires it could blow up the intake, but it is easier to tune the carb. also, if you dont replace the seals with carbon seals at idle the vacuum will draw oil out of the turbo and into your intake causing a smoky motor. it can be done, but it is a head ache and a half, it is easier tho with a ATV or dirt bike motor where you have a source of pressurized oil.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
You just made my brain grow,I think.

Seriously though,that sounds like more funds than I have for that. I would rather get started on my next bike.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
plenty of people just throw a turbo on a small motor and say its done, but half of them dont oil the turbo and wonder why it blows up in a day, and others dont tune their carbs and wonder why they piston is now lodged firmly in their exhaust impeller. when done right they are pretty sweet, but it takes time, money, and alot of patience to get tuned properly. EFI is an option, but again, time, money, and knowledge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agXwQp-MWo

here is a very well done motor, but his turbo is much much much to large for his motor, so it would take a very long time to make true boost